APC Forum

Waring HGB 150 blender for quick clean charcoal reduction

oldguy

7.5 Amp Stainless Steel container W/Rubber top.

gallery_10713_78_231389.jpg

gallery_10713_78_49448.jpg

gallery_10713_78_222309.jpg

Will cleanly take down a 2/3rds full container load of +/- 1 inch charcoal to -20 +100 mesh in under a minute.

In a very few minutes you can process 5 or 10 lbs down to screen-able or ball mill feed material.

I just processed 5 lbs outside on the back deck in less time than it took to drink a cup of coffee.

Did not even get my hands dirty.:lol:

This blender runs around $350 new retail.

Has replaceable connector & blades.

You can sometimes find this model or similar in thrift stores, Craig list or eBay cheap sometimes.

Edited by oldguy

7.5 Amp Stainless Steel container W/Rubber top.

Will cleanly take down a 2/3rds full container load of +/- 1 inch charcoal to -20 +100 mesh in under a minute.

In a very few minutes you can process 5 or 10 lbs down to screen-able or ball mill feed material.

I just processed 5 lbs outside on the back deck in less time than it took to drink a cup of coffee.

Did not even get my hands dirty.:lol:

This blender runs around $350 new retail.

Has replaceable connector & blades.

You can sometimes find this model or similar in thrift stores, Craig list or eBay cheap sometimes.

waiting for a return of a 3/4 hp garbage disposal for my grinder

Edited by allrocketspsl

Suggest you wait for a 1 HP stainless steel model.

Watch craigslist for a 16, 18 or 55 gallon open top style sturdy plastic drum, with lid & ring clamp closure.

Mount the disposal in the lid. Attach lid to drum, plug it in & GO FOR IT.

That is a dream machine charcoal grinder set up.

oldguy i read from other people who use blender for grinding charcoal that found small steel pieces in the powder and is danger for milling.

Have you seen in yours?

Those peaple must be using a cheap blender, with low quality soft metal parts & cutters.

The container & cutter on mine is all top quality stainless steel.

gallery_10713_78_194955.jpg

Besides charcoal, I have used it to reduce prills, large amounts of water quenched mg/al & small amounts of Ti (very small shavings).

It has never lost any metal into anything.

I wash it out & inspect it often.

Plus, swap out the cutter blades to sharpen them every once in awhile.

gallery_10713_78_5805.jpg

Ti

,gallery_10713_78_94102.jpg

Mg/Al

gallery_10713_78_228944.jpg

I have two Waring Bar Blenders that I picked up for free this past week from an old restaurant and they go for about $70.00 retail, the one OG has can be had for around $315.00 on eBay. The cheaper one is rated at 1/2 hp or 373 watts while the Professional one is rated at 1119 watts or 1 hp. The smaller one has a 32 oz jar while the professional has a 64 oz jar.

My take: Buy a few used Waring BB150s blenders and run smaller batches, you can get 4.5 of them for the same cost as the HGB 150S.

-dag