APC Forum

E-fired rocket launches on an airplane

californiapyro

Been working on this for a while, finally got it right! here's video of 1 and 2 oz rockets launched off of a model airplane in flight. Next step is night-launches with LED-lit planes. I pumped 12 volts through an Estes ignitor with a servo, triggered via remote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ay41mZ0KBg

It would be cool if you could cause the plane to drop bright red stars from its wings.

Nice video!

@allrockets... my friend, I was on firing. he's a very good pilot, and builds his own planes.

@pyrokid... i was just thinking that, possibly some angled launch tubes and such.

thanks for the compliments everyone!

Been working on this for a while, finally got it right! here's video of 1 and 2 oz rockets launched off of a model airplane in flight. Next step is night-launches with LED-lit planes. I pumped 12 volts through an Estes ignitor with a servo, triggered via remote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ay41mZ0KBg

Wow, very cool Cali.

Me and Lenny (from do-it) were joking at WWB about equipping the model airfield at Havasu with such devices. Personally I think a bomb drop with a bunch of those adult snappers would be cool at night.

looks fun,

but a bit doddgy, .........you'll be dropping mini air bomb units next....................hmm..........:lol:

dave

Wet blanket alert:

Be careful with this as it is a class 4 felony to launch pyrotechnics from a remote controlled device. This was discussed last year over at PF and there was a lot of vitriol spewed over playing with stuff like this.

Personally, I want to see a 16" Apache launch a couple pods of whistle missiles onto a flammable target but I won't be doing it myself. 2happy.gif

-dag

Wet blanket alert:

Be careful with this as it is a class 4 felony to launch pyrotechnics from a remote controlled device. This was discussed last year over at PF and there was a lot of vitriol spewed over playing with stuff like this.

Personally, I want to see a 16" Apache launch a couple pods of whistle missiles onto a flammable target but I won't be doing it myself. 2happy.gif

-dag

you can see that at r/c shows napom everything.The government might see this vid Cali and get ideas you might not like I think I would pull it even though we all know its harmless but think of terriost trying this?

Edited by allrocketspsl

Well, it was good timing for me to read that. I have to make an automotive related video pretty soon here for a promotional thing and that was one of my leading ideas. After the heartbreak suffered when I realized I had to pull possibly my best work in my ballistic knife video due to legal reasons, another incident is the last thing I need.

ooh yikes! well, amateur pyrotechnics in itself is a crime, isnt it? nonetheless i wouldn't want any unwanted attention over it, video pulled 2wacko.gif

ooh yikes! well, amateur pyrotechnics in itself is a crime, isnt it? nonetheless i wouldn't want any unwanted attention over it, video pulled 2wacko.gif

Not in the US and not according to the ATF, it's state and local laws that may prohibit it. As long as you have the proper magazine, distances and such and it doesn't leave the property, the ATF could care less.

-dag

smart boy,shooting a shell from a mortar is a little different

Dang......I missed the video before it was pulled. wanted to see that project in action .... blush.gif

Good to know that it is a felony, before finding out the hard way. I never knew that . We too have guys in our area doing similar things . I guess it is a matter of where you do it and who you let know your doing it. Sad, it seems that anything remotely fun these days is quickly stripped from the public.

Edited by pyrojig

Yea, that one is going to get worse and worse too with UAVs all over the place there will be more and more pyro on board being shot at the ground and air to air. The same prohibition applies to model rockets as far as control from ground goes and I would not be surprised if cameras were banned from UAVs not flown by law enforcement or military.

-dag

I missed the video but I at one time rigged up my rc airplane to launch 6 small moon traveler rockets. Pretty fun, but I've also had friends warn of the possible legal problems. But i didnt know it was a felony? It was fun but not that fun. I think the designing was the real fun part. I'll just stick with designing airplanes, hey, you can still drop flower bombs right!

I missed the video but I at one time rigged up my rc airplane to launch 6 small moon traveler rockets. Pretty fun, but I've also had friends warn of the possible legal problems. But i didnt know it was a felony? It was fun but not that fun. I think the designing was the real fun part. I'll just stick with designing airplanes, hey, you can still drop flower bombs right!

Flower power! Cool man... (I think he meant flour bombs) :lol: ;) .

WSM B)