APC Forum

Is this HP Printer motor able to run a 2kg Ball Mill?

Pirotecnia

wheres the rest of it? there are two motors? mine still has the rollers, almost made for the job.

that is what i use but it wont handle 2k of lead i mill 100g with 750g media at about 75 rpm for three hours on a car battery then the battery dies, the more weight you have the slower it will go, you can adjust the speed with different voltages.

at first i was worried about it over heating so ran it in half hour increments checking the motor for heat but slowly crept it up to 1 hr then two then three after a few millings,the motor does get hot but i can still touch mine after a few hours so its not much over 100 degrees on a warm day, mines had about 80hrs run time last year and it still works fine but like said it is not strong and wont last long if you overload it or run it constantly.

it seems that my little mill is able to outperform the small hf jobbies and the national geographic rock tumblers in milling time taking just three hours to give lift quality bp.

ok for free, starting out and making single or small pieces, you will want a bigger more robust mill eventually.

dan.

edit: its better than the pestle and mortar right?

Edited by dan999ification

wheres the rest of it? there are two motors? mine still has the rollers, almost made for the job.

that is what i use but it wont handle 2k of lead i mill 100g with 750g media at about 75 rpm for three hours on a car battery then the battery dies, the more weight you have the slower it will go, you can adjust the speed with different voltages.

at first i was worried about it over heating so ran it in half hour increments checking the motor for heat but slowly crept it up to 1 hr then two then three after a few millings,the motor does get hot but i can still touch mine after a few hours so its not much over 100 degrees on a warm day, mines had about 80hrs run time last year and it still works fine but like said it is not strong and wont last long if you overload it or run it constantly.

it seems that my little mill is able to outperform the small hf jobbies and the national geographic rock tumblers in milling time taking just three hours to give lift quality bp.

ok for free, starting out and making single or small pieces, you will want a bigger more robust mill eventually.

dan.

edit: its better than the pestle and mortar right?

Ahhhh, that may be true Dan but the question was about 2k of media. Using a small jar (soda bottle size) and small media may work well for very small batches and if siad bottle is clear, you can load it with media only and watch the media cascade to see if it is running to fast or to slow.

The duty cycle on HPs deskjet motors cant be all that great and when these little DC motors go, they throw sparks all over the place.

I love my gear motor from surpluscenter, LINK it runs at 50 RPM and is reversible, totally enclosed and runs on 115 AC. The best part is that it is $19.95.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/images/p5-1776C.jpg

-dag

Thanks people.

I decided to use the older motor i used on my last ball mill, from a washer machine water pump.

It works well for what i need.