APC Forum

Low odor BP for deployment

donperry

One of the problems I have with BP is that the sulfur stinks and it leaves residue.

So I have a new formula for my deployment charge.

I tested this in ProPep to get the right temperature and ISP for pressure. Thought not as fast and strong as original BP, it is ok as it was not designed for that!

71K /23C/ 4 sulfur

I grind the charcoal in coffee grinder, run it through a strainer to get only the finer particles, then weigh out 23 grams

next, weigh 71g kno3 and 4 sulpher.

add some water in a frying pan, mix up the ingredients and boil it off. When it's about to go dry on you (looks mushy) quickly turn of the heat and continue stirring until it is dry.

This is not recrystallization but instead just means I've been using to get the components mixed close together, as I dont own a ball mill.

here is a video of the results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-LPPzFyWyY&feature=g-upl&context=G2238cceAUAAAAAAAAAA.

I've been using the traditional piston (not dan polino's own) with good result. Now i'm even considering using no piston.

To build up pressure i place the BP in a small paper packet that is glued tight. I call it the deployment purse. :)

One of the problems I have with BP is that the sulfur stinks and it leaves residue.

So I have a new formula for my deployment charge.

I tested this in ProPep to get the right temperature and ISP for pressure. Thought not as fast and strong as original BP, it is ok as it was not designed for that!

71K /23C/ 4 sulfur

I grind the charcoal in coffee grinder, run it through a strainer to get only the finer particles, then weigh out 23 grams

next, weigh 71g kno3 and 4 sulpher.

add some water in a frying pan, mix up the ingredients and boil it off. When it's about to go dry on you (looks mushy) quickly turn of the heat and continue stirring until it is dry.

This is not recrystallization but instead just means I've been using to get the components mixed close together, as I dont own a ball mill.

here is a video of the results.

http://www.youtube.c...cceAUAAAAAAAAAA.

I've been using the traditional piston (not dan polino's own) with good result. Now i'm even considering using no piston.

To build up pressure i place the BP in a small paper packet that is glued tight. I call it the deployment purse. :)

hum,I like the smell of bp

Have you ever tried the crimson powder like on Nakka's web page?

http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/articles/Crimson_powder.pdf

It is my favorite deployment powder, for exactly the reason you mention. I find that because it is cooler than BP it is less likely to burn holes in your parachute and it seems to pop better than BP when confined. Last don’t try to harvest ascorbic acid from vitamin tablets the health food stores usually sell 100% pure ascorbic acid.

It is my favorite deployment powder, for exactly the reason you mention. I find that because it is cooler than BP it is less likely to burn holes in your parachute and it seems to pop better than BP when confined. Last don't try to harvest ascorbic acid from vitamin tablets the health food stores usually sell 100% pure ascorbic acid.

I had seen that too some time ago and completely forgotten about it. Thanks Greg!

AMAZON has it too: AMAZON

-dag

Edited by dagabu

as a solvent?

you gotstsa love the smell of bp.

dan.

I even shoot BP guns with Elephant BP because it is extra smelly, I love the smell of BP (in the morning).

I guess it takes all types though. It will men just a tiny bit less acid rain too if you make it your way. ;)

LOL. You guys,....funny

I tried the crimson powder, to me it was too powerful and too dangerous to make. The orderless BP, or low surfer bp worked just fine :)

I tried about 1.5-2 grams grams and the rocket disappeared :-o

LOL. You guys,....funny

I tried the crimson powder, to me it was too powerful and too dangerous to make. The orderless BP, or low surfer bp worked just fine :)

I tried about 1.5-2 grams grams and the rocket disappeared :-o

I live too close to the California coast so all I can find is high surfer BP!!! :lol: ;)

WSM B)

my ultimate favorite pyro smell is burnt BP on hulls... reminds me of the spent consumer stuff I loved when I was younger2happy.gif