APC Forum

Super Whistle Fuel?

warthog

OK, I have searched here and other places to find out exactly what Super Whistle Fuel is, how it differs from Whistle with its different catalysts and how exactly to make this Super variety. All I get back when I do my searches are references to people using this fuel but no where does anyone tell me what it is or how it is made...

Sorry, I know all of your rocketeers know this already and perhaps this should have been posted in the Newbie area (feel free to move it) but...

Please provide me with the formula or formulae for Super Whistle Fuel and perhaps if it is made in a different way could you tell me how to make it? I have made regular whistle fuels finally so I am familiar with that process. However I would prefer that you simply provide me with an easy to follow method along with the formula, please. Barring that perhaps this is already done somewhere and therefore simply post a link, that I can click hopefully, and I will do so.

Thank you. :)

Here is Dan's original post about it:

med_gallery_9798_43_4534.jpg

It's really a misnomer, Whistle Super Fuel is just conventional whistle fuel but with an added 5% 80 mesh charcoal and using mineral oil for a phlegmatizer. The formula is in the Passfire database, under Shared, Rocket, Whistle, with the name HP-140-4C.

76 KCLO4

23 NaBenz

1 Copper Oxychloride

5 80 mesh charcoal

4 mineral oil

-dag

Edited by dagabu

That explains why I was never able to find it there, thanks Dag, I will now be able to move on...

does this stuff make a horrible shriek or does the charcoal keep it quiet(er)?

The ones I have seen have been quieter than standard whistle, but they're far from low-key, especially when they carry an 8" shell.

VeggasDude, the video you posted says that it is private and won't play for me. Thanks for the thought though. If this is the fuel that Ned uses in his big rockets then I have heard it in person. At least it doesn't yowl like a cat that has hat its tail stepped on... ;)

That explains why I was never able to find it there, thanks Dag, I will now be able to move on...

does this stuff make a horrible shriek or does the charcoal keep it quiet(er)?

If I add the 5% charcoal to the fuel, it does not howl but I like Dan and Ned, don't use the super fuel on top of the spindle but regular whistle so that we get the whistle sound after lift off. Dan has done lots of 100% all super whistle rockets too and they do not howl at all but just chirp on take off.

That said, the chems used do make a world of difference and the whistle may be present in some comps where it is not in others.

-dag

Do you use fine milled NaBenz? I remember some discussion last fall about the mesh of the benz and its effect on the comp.

Dan's "Super whistle fuel" is for use with long spindles.

I tested it in a 1lb rocket with a 20gr header at Nelson's last Fall, it rose slowly to tree top level rolled over and stuck in the ground making a small fountain before the header popped.

It was formulated for max lifting power

Dan's "Super whistle fuel" is for use with long spindles.

I tested it in a 1lb rocket with a 20gr header at Nelson's last Fall, it rose slowly to tree top level rolled over and stuck in the ground making a small fountain before the header popped.

It was formulated for max lifting power

Never been my experience Al, it takes off just about as fast with the charcoal and I lift 300g regularly with #1 rockets with only four increments of the super whistle and BP the rest of the way up. I wonder what the deal is?

-dag

DOH! should be fixed now... Mine are 1lb and they do howl..

That worked. :)

That's not as screechy as some I have heard at least.

Never been my experience Al, it takes off just about as fast with the charcoal and I lift 300g regularly with #1 rockets with only four increments of the super whistle and BP the rest of the way up. I wonder what the deal is?

-dag

I was just repeating what Ned told me.

Dan T fomulated that fuel for his big motors with longer than normal spindles

It was done in preporation for PGI 2011, the goal was to lift bigger headers than anyone else

Thanks Al, I will keep this in mind. I was more interested in what it was when I posted it since it seems folks are always mentioning it. Now that I both know how to make it and what it is to be used for, I will add it to my archives for that wonderful day I can practice my art unfettered. Until then I will remain small and dependent on others for places to do this sort of thing. If things work out, I may be able to make a move to FL to be near my family. If that happens I will be sure to choose my property wisely so that I will be able to obtain my own license and THEN I shall be unfettered indeed! :)