APC Forum

Colored Flame Science Project

killforfood

Hi all,

I'm finally done with the Saiga shotgun project and can now get back to Pyro.

I need to synthesize some chlorides for my Daughters colored flame science fair project.

I have Copper Carbonate, Barium Carbonate and Strontium Carbonate and would like to synthesize Copper Chloride, Barium Chloride and Strontium Chloride. I have a couple gallons of 14.5% Hydrochloric acid and just need to confirm the proper procedure.

Can all three of these be converted using basically the same procedure?

As I understand it, slowly add ( stir in) HCL till the reaction is complete (all outgassing ceases) and then dehydrate solution on a hot plate. periodically chill solution to see if crystals form. catch crystals in filter paper and rinse with distilled water. catch wash water in original solution to catch any disolved material. Re-heat and repeat. I would appreciate any corrections, advice or safety considerations.

Prior to drying into crystal form, I will probably soak some candle wicks in the solution and see if we can make colored flame candles.

I'm kind of stumped on Lihtium Chloride and may have to buy it outright. I don't have anything except batteries to make it out of.

If Grandma was Bi-Polar, I could substitute sugar pills for a month and make it out of her meds :P

getting there is half the fun and buying it kind of defeats the journey.

I also have a couple lbs of stripped copper wire to play with and would like to try converting it with HCL and 3% hydrogen Peroxide.

You don't need lithium chloride, since lithium, like sodium, gives off its colour by atomic emission. Just buy some lithium carbonate and burn it in methanol.

You don't need lithium chloride, since lithium, like sodium, gives off its colour by atomic emission. Just buy some lithium carbonate and burn it in methanol.

I have done this, not quite as simple as that, i believe it had something to do with the chlorides solubility in methanol, i have tested both; the chloride gave significantly improved colour (Australian spelling) in duplicate conditions.

let us know how the candles turn out , i wasn't sure if a chlorine donor was needed in addition (pvc?) for a decent colour in a wick/candle ; finding out that larger methanol flames produce better colour.

If anyone else with experience has an opinion id be quite intrigued?

Cheers ANARCHY_08

Hm, you seem to be right. I just tested with pure methanol, and it was a pale orange-salmon. When using methanol+hydrochloric acid, the flame went deep salmon.

If you are doing this outdoors, and if you can dispose off the stuff you use for the flames and dilute it with plenty of water, you can simply mix lithium carbonate, methanol and hydrochloric acid directly where the you will light it.

• 3 months later...

I've made Li- and Sr-chloride from the carbonates. Pottery grade carbonates contain sulfide, so be prepared for H2S fumes and stay outside accordingly. The reactions also tend to foam a bit, especially at the end. I've lost LiCl product due to foaming every time, it seems like it does nothing near the end, so I add a bit more acid, and it goes nuts. Guess I'm impatient :)

The LiCl is a bitch to dry, it's deliquescent and needs a lot of heat to drive out the water. I've tried baking i in the oven (got stuck to the pyrex glass, broke the glass hacking it off), and spraying the solution into a hot frying pan (slow, and the crystals scratch the teflon). I want to try: silicone baking sheet (flexible, for bending and loosening the crystals), and microwave oven (good if it only heats the water and not the product).

Edit: for making colored flame candles, a different fuel is needed as candle wax has a lot of yellow-glowing elemental carbon in the flame. I've read about it, but unfortunately I don't recall what they used.

Edited by GalFisk