APC Forum

Getting legal help

Bcorso85

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get legal in Connecticut. My head is spinning from all the permits and requirements from the ATF and state level. I'm not lazy and I'm not stupid I'm just confused about what to do in order to make my own beautiful shells as a hobbiest (legally). Do I need to have experience working for a display company and complete the certificate of competency? I would really appreciate any help.

.I did a little looking. As far as I can tell, if you comply with all the distance, building, and other requirements on the federal level, you should be good to go on the state level. There was some mention of "good moral character" and something hinting at training, but none of that was very clear. You'd be subject to a background check (as would you be on the federal level). There is an additional state license at a fee of $200/yr, and $150/yr for the renewal. A separate state transportation license at $60/yr. They'd need to be made aware of the magazine and stuff, and probably inspect said vehicle.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap541.htm

The relavent stuff is from 29-343 to about 29-366.

Your best bet may be to contact Jim Widmann. He'd probably know the best out of anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody know what the NFPA or IFC regulations are for home manufacturing fireworks? I can't imagine that these goons would have left this alone. They have ruined amateur rocketry for me; basically it is illegal pretty much anywhere you go.

If there are any they might be here:

http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/AboutTheCodes.asp?DocNum=1124

I'm not willing to pay to learn what codes might apply to me though. I consider that a legal form of extortion.

Edit: Also, here are all of your applicable state laws in Connecticut Bcorso: http://www.pyroesq.com/?page_id=48

Edited by NightHawkInLight

Does anybody know what the NFPA or IFC regulations are for home manufacturing fireworks? I can't imagine that these goons would have left this alone. They have ruined amateur rocketry for me; basically it is illegal pretty much anywhere you go.

I live in Vermont (an NFPA state), and recently asked the same question of the State Fire Marshal. The questions he asked:

1) Will this be done in a building?

2) Is it a public building?

3) Will other people be present when you are making fireworks?

My answers:

1) Yes - a little tin roofed, open sided shed 200' from my house.

2) No.

3) No.

Their determination was that my activities were not subject to NFPA because there was no public exposure. Of course there are many other regulatory bodies with which to contend.

Kevin OClassen

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate the support. I did purchase a wasp machine and I went up to Jims shop and picked it up back in December. Since then I've sent him a few emails with some general pyro questions and never got an answer after I bought the wasp. I don't know maybe I rubbed the guy the wrong way. Not too happy about that since I'm trying to make friends in the pyro community. There was a piece of information that said I needed managerial experience with at least 10 shows to get licensed. I know state laws may be different, but does anyone with a manufacturing or user license have to report to your insurance company?