APC Forum

"Parlon stars suck!"

dagabu

My favorite way to screen slice is with a "Home Depot" Light Defuser panel. My local HD has 1/2'' and slightly less than 3/4'' square panels. Take a square of this panel and cut it to a usable size, eaither frame it or put 2 thin dowels under the edges ( a diameter dowel that is 1/2 the finished diameter of your stars ). Place a layer of prime on everything then place your primed patty on top, use a square of plywood .

This is a overly sized star for a parlon comp. 1/2 stars would burn to the ground unless your shooting them out of 10 or 12" shells. The burn time would be very long. Charcoal stars are much better using the light defuser method.

True Blue Pyro has a comp that I use a lot, it is "True Red" and is very bright and long burning. Deep, deep blood red, beautiful. I have had no issues with ash on anything but a green comp that I abandoned because of the slowness of the burn.

-dag

I'll have a look at truely red,the acetone/parlon bound green pistil in this shell seems dim

http://youtu.be/2c40_hCmbL8

and you can see the orbs in this test shell this one was dextrin bound so the green was brighter

http://youtu.be/QdYnPYl-wVM

This is a overly sized star for a parlon comp. 1/2 stars would burn to the ground unless your shooting them out of 10 or 12" shells. The burn time would be very long. Charcoal stars are much better using the light defuser method.

Not with a high metal content. My parlon stars burn out within 1-2 seconds, and they are up to 1" in size.

1/2" parlon stars are good for 8" shells but are too big for small shells due to the burn time as you have said. I use 1/4" to 3/8" parlon stars in my shells.

-dag

I use a bit less magnalum . The lower % Im sure contributes to the slower burn time. Thanks for the clarification Dag. I guess I was just a bit off on shell size to star size... sleep.gif

for 3" shells, 1.5-3" mines, 40mm bombettes i have used cut stars at and over 1/2" if ti is added to the comp they can be as big as 20mm and over to make up for the fast burn.[ i dont think "parlon" stars suit me, i like big stars.]

these were veline stars bound with acetone, what is the difference between "parlon" stars and veline?, obviously quite a bit if they burn that slow, i'll have to look at the comps closer.

dan.

edit: even the bigguns burn faster [20mm 3 secs ish]than a hard pumped tigertail comet of the same size [5 secs ish]

Edited by dan999ification

Veline stars have just a few percent of magnalium in them. Bleser's Mg stars with 18-30% magnesium 100-200 mesh burn incredibly fast.

My own magnesium is 250 mesh, by the way - the coarsest. The finest is 370...B)

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

Bleser's Mg stars with 18-30% magnesium 100-200 mesh burn incredibly fast.

big dahlia :)

Oh, most of Bleser's Mg stars utilize only nitrates as oxidizers. What costs is the magnesium. Half a kilo 20mm stars, which is what is needed for a 6", costs about €5, except the yellow ones with potassium perchlorate. Pretty decent in my humble opinion.

Hm, my "ordinary" parlon stars are:

Red

Strontium nitrate 37

Potassium perchlorate 30

Magnesium 14

Parlon 14

Red gum 5

Bleser White Mg

Barium nitrate 53

Potassium nitrate 12

Magnesium 28

Parlon 7

Bleser Red Mg

Strontium nitrate 55

Magnesium 28

Parlon 10

PVC 7

I think it's the magnalium. I know one guy who mills his magnalium until it's finer than 1200 mesh!

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

That will do it. Small magnal will cause the burn rate to increase substantially .

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tested toluene instead of acetone? They say in Best of AFN II that acetone always contains some water but that toluene doesn't. I made 500 grams of Bleser Red Mg today, and while pouring acetone on the composition I could actually hear a fizzle when the Mg reacted with the small amount of water. That's probably what's creates air pockets in parlon stars as well.