APC Forum

MagAl

Bilbobaker

How safe is it to make MagAl in an open foundry or stainless steel crucible fired with briquettes?

Just want to be safe and not have a meltdown.

Ok i will post it here cause i do not want to open a new topic, i found were you can find Mg, you can ask for some magnesium anodes for water heaters or for heating

http://image.tradevv.com/2008/07/21/alicehou_272456_600/magnesium-anode-for-cathodic-protection.jpg

Edited by THEONE

Ok i will post it here cause i do not want to open a new topic, i found were you can find Mg, you can ask for some magnesium anodes for water heaters or for heating

Don't bother buying new ones, find somewhere that replaces hot water heaters and you should be able to get them at scrap prices (I got about 30kg of them for free).

They will be covered in corrosion, but a wirewheel will clean them up fairly quickly. Some will be so far gone that they aren't worth cleaning up, but a majority of mine we still over 50% of their original diameter and a good 5-10kg were nearly whole with just some pitting.

Yes also i have found that the chain saws have got Magnesium... with a knife, you can make some scratches, and drop to them some vinegar, if it starts to produce bubbles, it is magnesium.