APC Forum

Rocket Candy

Lucas

I suggest the Universal Hybrid Rocket Tooling Set from Firesmith personally as I believe he uses the best materials for spindles (brass).

-dag

Agreed. I have a 1# set UH set that he kindly donated to our club to auction off. It is very nice, I can't wait to share results later this year. However, I love my 4oz sets, they use little fuel, are quick to build, and can be flown in more places than the bigger rockets.

Edited by nater

Lucas,

Lets get to rocket fuel shall we? Yes, you will compact the still hot mass into a tube and then make a nozzle, some use a nail or a stick to perform the function and still others drill the nozzle after the grain has set. My opinion is that sugar fuel is difficult to make and use when compared with making and using black powder for fuel.

Making BP is also safer in my experience since you don't have to be anywhere close to it when you are milling it where as with R-candy, you have to use a hot plate to melt and cook the mix. The R-candy also is extremely hygroscopic, meaning that it will turn into a gooey mess if left to absorb water from the air.

I make a version of the R-candy rocket for daytime shoots that I like a lot, I use Universal Tooling and press a clay nozzle, make a batch of R-candy with no syrup, let it ALMOST cool and grate the fuel with a cheese grater, press increments all the way to the top of the spindle plus 1 ID of the rocket then I use 1 increment (rocket ID) of whistle fuel for delay and use a small salute to mark the end of flight.

I store these in a sealed container with desiccant for later use.

I will be trying this method later this spring but with an electric skillet and not open flame and pour a rocket on my UT set to see if I get even better thrust. If so, I will likely do a nozzleless motor and see what performance I get from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVKvlX2W_-g

Good luck on this endeavor but please, do me and all of us a favor, don't insult Mumbles, even if he has scolded you. He is very good people and the best ally you would ever have if you simply listen to his correction and move on.

-dag

second that mate

Ok, so im very new to rockets... so be nice lol. Ok so in the past iv attempted Arial salutes, failed horribly.. so now im going to attempt rockets. First off so you know my level of knowledge.. iv really only made ground salutes and a couple mortars..

My first question is iv seen a couple different recipes for rcandy, some with glucose syrup and some without.. whats the difference? should i use it or shouldnt i?

Next question is how to get compact it... do you pack it into the tube while it is still soft?

and third is what do i use for a nozzle? or do i drill a whole through the center? ... like i said im new to rockets lol

Im confused your new to rcandy yet have rocket vids from 2009?Just curious.Cooking inside is inviting Mr Murphy into your life dont ya think

Edited by allrocketspsl

Iv got rocket vids from 2009?? and i cook inside?? woooaaahhh...

easy boy so the old fart made a messy in his pants your still disrespecting your elders,good luck stay safe

All,

No, I found this video on YouTube from 2009, no word as to the thrust curve it made or any data at all, it was just an idea that I am going to try this spring with UT after the nozzle is pressed and see if the grain will operate as if it were pressed instead of being poured. I do all my RC outside with gauntlet gloves, grinding shield and leather apron in case the whole thing goes sideways.

It sure looks interesting though.

-dag

I guess DAG wants me to defend rcandy over BP.

Truth is, depends on what you using it for. Sounds like you are into Pyro, and if so then BP is better choice. You will need to be able to make BP as a pyro, anyway.

If you are going into amateur rocketry, then rcandy is better.

Rcandy also has a higher specific impulse than BP.

I guess DAG wants me to defend rcandy over BP.

Truth is, depends on what you using it for. Sounds like you are into Pyro, and if so then BP is better choice. You will need to be able to make BP as a pyro, anyway.

If you are going into amateur rocketry, then rcandy is better.

Rcandy also has a higher specific impulse than BP.

Nope, not at all. Thanks for the input Don.

-dag