APC Forum

black powder basics

allrocketspsl

ok ball milled 65/25/10 for 5 hours,tested/result slow

riced it now like flash?What happened

Wetting the mill dust for ricing always makes it faster. I was surprised by how much, the first time I tried it.

Agreed, the first time I tested a pile of granulated BP was the closest I've come to losing my eyebrows, or fingers. Good educational moment that. I believe it is so much faster for two reasons, firstly the flame front can propagate much more rapidly due to the increased space between grains and secondly that the nitrate dissloves and recrystalizes within the porous charcoal creating a more intimate mix between your fuel & oxidizer.

Wetting the mill dust for ricing always makes it faster. I was surprised by how much, the first time I tried it.

so Im wondering if Im ball milling powder for my 3lb rockets theres no way of telling what ZI end up with.Back to handmade.

Hah, you might as well make a rocket and try it now you milled the fuel. If it's too hot, cool it down with more charcoal. I'm no rocket expert, but I would expect ball-milled 65/25/10 is a bit hot for a 3 pounder anyway. You can probably add +15 charcoal and still have it lift smartly.

I agree, the BP is not a heavy lifting powder, it is for giving glorious charcoal tails and that lovely WHOOOSH! sound as it lifts. You may try it as a nozzleless rocket first though.

-dag

I agree, the BP is not a heavy lifting powder, it is for giving glorious charcoal tails and that lovely WHOOOSH! sound as it lifts. You may try it as a nozzleless rocket first though.

-dag

yeah thats why i bought it seems i have fast enough to go nozzeless,want to get 6 inch balls shells up?

I will let others comment on the ability of their rockets to lift 6" shells but in my experiences, my 3# BP rockets do well with 5" and below while a whistle boosted 3# rocket can lift a heavy 6" to height quite well. I like an all whistle motor with some charcoal for a noticeable tail to lift heavy shells and 5" canisters filled with pulverone need all the thrust they can get!

-dag

I will let others comment on the ability of their rockets to lift 6" shells but in my experiences, my 3# BP rockets do well with 5" and below while a whistle boosted 3# rocket can lift a heavy 6" to height quite well. I like an all whistle motor with some charcoal for a noticeable tail to lift heavy shells and 5" canisters filled with pulverone need all the thrust they can get!

-dag

Just thought Id ask, but what are you using for your fuel? ( benzoates or Salycylates) ) Are you using a 5% charcoal like a 80-100 mesh, or just plain airfloat?

Just thought Id ask, but what are you using for your fuel? ( benzoates or Salycylates) ) Are you using a 5% charcoal like a 80-100 mesh, or just plain airfloat?

I use Benzoates because of the price and the reduced power, which I like. I also understand that sali is stickier then the benzo when pressing it. I do add 5-10% 80 mesh to the fuel to break the whistle and add a tail. I don't do that to all my fuel but if I want to lift a larger load but still want the tail, that is what i do.

-dag

I use Benzoates because of the price and the reduced power, which I like. I also understand that sali is stickier then the benzo when pressing it. I do add 5-10% 80 mesh to the fuel to break the whistle and add a tail. I don't do that to all my fuel but if I want to lift a larger load but still want the tail, that is what i do.

-dag

Thanks for the answer..dry2.gif