APC Forum

Star Cores

Blackthumb

I noted somewhere in this forum about the perfect cores for me...tapioca! Two sizes...both work well. One note, they must either be coated first with NC or sealant when rolling water based stars.....else...the tapioca will expand over night and split the stars. Was too dumb to remember this and had a large batch of stars split after drying...worked great in mines. You can use water but have to be dried quickly.

Using them for 'parlon'-rubber stars is OK due to solvent use.

I also used the bits of MgAl sifted out of a mix...worked well and had that little burst of white light at the end of the burn....fun to experiment.

I haven't used tapioca cores yet. I have been using food grade millet cores. I would like to give it a try. Where can you buy the tapioca?

I haven't used tapioca cores yet. I have been using food grade millet cores. I would like to give it a try. Where can you buy the tapioca?

Just about any grocery store will have them in the pudding aisle. I will have to try them out once I get the roller up and going.

Edited by warthog

:)

i highly recomend granulated star comp for cores.

dan.

mustard seeds or plant food size of mustard seeds but three different small sizes so if you use and dont remove two sizes and leave all three youll get three different size stars and constanly seiving to get all the same

I've got close to 1# of Deggs, but still haven't used them for cores. Still waiting to do the Ti crackling flowers when I get time.

I'm still using the bismuth comp, but completely different ratios. I was using 70/15/15 then went to 34/44/22.

It is a world of difference because they smolder fast and report hard in one solid pop. Using a single base NC made a big difference also.

Granulated through an 8 screen and a little hand rolling to round them out they will leave your ears ringing.