APC Forum

Smaller Retorts?

warthog

I am a small sort of hobbyist. No reason to make myself production model charcoal maker, though I am envious of oldguy's current project. Something like that would make a lifetime's worth of charcoal for me in one batch I would guess. I am also a bit tired of making a lots of one gallon paint can batches, not only is that more work than it is worth but the cans et expensive as the burn out. I do have an old dutch oven that works nicely but it is too small to make charcoal from pine cones, there isn't enough room in it for them to expand as the dry out with the heat. At least you can't make a decent sized batch of pinecone charcoal with it, you have to make several fillings to get enough for one batch of tiger tail stars. I searched for some small steel drums but I wasn't able to find those, only the 55 gal ones. Just as I was about to give up I found these in a Big Box store. They are 6 gal sized, heavy gauge steel, tight fitting lids and should be able to fit my needs as a charcoal retort in general. My only concern is the steel is galvanized and I thought I had read somewhere this causes a problem of some kind if you want to use it as a charcoal retort or any other situation where you will be heating it up.

So, can anyone tell me if galvanized steel containers do cause some sort of problem as a charcoal retort?

med_gallery_11291_107_2430.jpg

Edited by warthog

i use less than you by the looks of it,

it depends how hot you get it, the only problem i see with galvanized steel for this application [not that it wont make good charcoal] is that the zinc plating/zinc has quite a low melting point and probably wont stand up to many batches before the steel is exposed [ not that that is a problem either unless it gets rusty]

i used a large galv bucket with holes drilled to hold the fire and use the paint can method, after one firing the galz was nackered and because i use it as an outdoor ashtray it rusted overnight, not a problem for holding the fire but if used as a retort you could end up with iron oxide in the charcoal= potential danger if milling live comps.

dan.

edit; you may also make some zinc oxide with the first batch i dont know how significant that would be

Edited by dan999ification

I've always been under the impression that the reason people do not like galvanized drums for heating things was because the zinc would fume at flame temperatures. Fuming metals are known to cause "metal fume fever". It'd probably one of those things where it may be best to set it up once, bake off all the zinc while no one is around, and then use it for cooking purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

gallery_10713_78_141152.jpg

The biggest cast iron dutch oven you can find cheap, with a ¼ or 3/8ths inch hole drilled in the lid works perfectly.

The lid is heavy enough it seals well, without clamps. One of these will last a lifetime.

I was lucky enough to stumble into 4G open top steel drums, with lid & clamp ring.

Army surplus stores have them sometimes.

gallery_10713_78_133993.jpg

Edited by oldguy

That small drum is what I wanted for sure. Thanks for the replies n the galvanized metal. Why I need such a large retort is more to provide expansion space for the pine cones. I learned by mishap with my first batch that this is needed. The first batch I made was in my Dutch Oven and I had placed just enough cones in it to fill it then I put it into the fire. As the cones got hot, the petals opened up to their extreme and lifted the lid off of the dutch oven and the whole thing flashed into flame because of the pine resins that had become released into the air. It was pretty amazing. I tired to use a gallon paint an next and it wasn't big enough for more than two cones and that doesn't make much pinecone charcoal since the cores are tossed out. They are very fibrous and don't really get cooked so you can pick them out leaving just the petal charcoal behind. This is the charcoal that makes the nicest tiger tails you have seen IMO. I give credit to True Blue Pyro for giving me this information, I was amazed at how much nicer the tails looked.

I believe then I will burn the galvanization off first then start using them as retorts just to be on the safe side. If I can ever find a mini barrel or two I will grab them and use them as well. I still keep my eyes open for them when I am in a place think I might see one.

Since we're on the subject does Home Depot or Lowes sell 5 gallon steel buckets? Like the plastic ones only metal? Haven't been in there looking for stuff in quite awhile.

I think I am going to get in on making a retort as well, not for fireworks but I have a lot of fruit wood lying around that will make excellent charcoal for the BBQ. If you guys have you ever had a rib eye grilled over apricot charcoal you will know where I am coming from. Any way a few years ago stainless stocks pots like these http://www.harborfreight.com/stainless-steel-4-piece-stock-pot-set-94829.html where quite common and pretty cheap. I have a couple extra 5 gal ones kicking around in my homebrew equipment. What I am thinking of doing is cutting a hole in the bottom and then using some 1/2 black iron pipe inside the pot to direct the fire gas down under the pot. I plan on making an outer shell with insulating refractory and either clamping the lid down or placing a weight on it.

That small drum is what I wanted for sure. Thanks for the replies n the galvanized metal. Why I need such a large retort is more to provide expansion space for the pine cones. I learned by mishap with my first batch that this is needed. The first batch I made was in my Dutch Oven and I had placed just enough cones in it to fill it then I put it into the fire. As the cones got hot, the petals opened up to their extreme and lifted the lid off of the dutch oven and the whole thing flashed into flame because of the pine resins that had become released into the air. It was pretty amazing. I tired to use a gallon paint an next and it wasn't big enough for more than two cones and that doesn't make much pinecone charcoal since the cores are tossed out. They are very fibrous and don't really get cooked so you can pick them out leaving just the petal charcoal behind. This is the charcoal that makes the nicest tiger tails you have seen IMO. I give credit to True Blue Pyro for giving me this information, I was amazed at how much nicer the tails looked.

I believe then I will burn the galvanization off first then start using them as retorts just to be on the safe side. If I can ever find a mini barrel or two I will grab them and use them as well. I still keep my eyes open for them when I am in a place think I might see one.

Could you preheat the cones in an oven beforehand to open them up, then strip off the petals and load only those in the retort? It would definitely be more work, but would allow you to do a larger batch?

I have Looked and searched for a suitable metal bucket for making small but decent batches of charcoal. I had an old malt drum ingot from the home few store. But it did not have a removable top. I tried to use it but didn't work. The next thing that I found was a used gear oil drum from a transmission repair shop. 15 gallons with crimp on and off top. Smelled badly and had a few tablespoons of oil left but it burned out fast and worked great with a 1/2" hole in the lid. Perfect size for making a few lbs of charcoal over a camp fire. http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/jwdrummer5/bd34d16b.mp4

Could you preheat the cones in an oven beforehand to open them up, then strip off the petals and load only those in the retort? It would definitely be more work, but would allow you to do a larger batch?

You could try but stripping the petals off of them is a real PITA. Before I really understood what I was being told I stripped a paint can full of petals off and made those into charcoal. It took me more than a week to get the resin off of my hands, I smelled like a pine tree for weeks after that too. Those petals really put up a fight coming off too. Just one gallon in volume of them was a LOT of cones and it took me forever to do. When I told True Blue Pyro what I was doing and told hi it had better be worth it, he laughed and told me how much easier it is to do it the way I am now. I bet he is still laughing at me today too. laugh2.gif

You can also use all the charcoal and not get rid of the cores, this produces an inferior effect but still nice.

He knows as this is a Down Under idea... It is a really nice looking tiger tail that you get from pine cone charcoal. I tried to video some tiger tails with regular hardwood, and pine wood and pine cone charcoal for a comparison and it can be seen but it really needs to be in person to be bet appreciated. I made the video pre-YouTube for me and lost it when my HD went bad unfortunately. Maybe I can make a new one if I get a chance at all this summer.

• 1 month later...

Since we're on the subject does Home Depot or Lowes sell 5 gallon steel buckets? Like the plastic ones only metal? Haven't been in there looking for stuff in quite awhile.

i have looked, and they do not. but they do have them. they are just filled with some 100 dollar product lol.... I guess you could go to a construction site and ask around..

i have looked, and they do not. but they do have them. they are just filled with some 100 dollar product lol.... I guess you could go to a construction site and ask around..

Try Craigs List, I found a dozen listings for used grease drums for $2.00 each.

-dag

I bought what you see here at a Big Box, Home Depot. I have seen them in Menard's and Lowes as well. These work well as buckets too. The lid fits on there really tightly, you can knock it over and I don't think it would spill open. They also sell pails without a lid that are steel, I have one of those I use as my Butt Bucket for outside since I smoke. I hate all the cigarette butts all over so I make folks put them in the bucket like I do. I don't chuck them out my car window either, I use the ashtray and when I get home I empty it into the trash. I hate to have cigarette butts all over the place just as much as I hate any other litter.

Edited by warthog

I am also a smoker, trying to quit & down to about 3 a day.

Plus using TAR BLOCK filters.

Years back in boot camp, flip a cigarette butt .

A drill instructor with the appearance & attitude of king kong saw me do that.

End result, was ordered to give that butt a burial like a human.

All day job to dig the grave & bury that butt.

Last butt I ever threw out, in 50 years.