APC Forum

Color strobe without chlorine donor?

lokys

Hy guys,

I tryed to make some strobe, I've found composition in pyroguide:

RED STROBE #1

60% Sr (NO3) 2 20% Magnalium(80mesh) 10% sulfur 10% dextrine

How it can be red without chlorine donor ? I did it yesterday, and this composition burns not red but white color and it was not bad strobe.. I've added 6% parlon, tryed again and it was red color, but now without strobe, just burning like flare. Parlon could really change strobing in composition ? I thought that it just chlorine donor for the color, not fuel or something else..

P.s. I know what this is hard to make color strobe without AP, but I want to make somethink from nitrates and MgAl.

Thank's!

The formula probably came from a questionable source. I'm always skeptical when I see such even numbers and dextrin levels over 4 or 5%. It would seem to me they may have dropped the chlorine donor and replaced it with dextrin.

Chlorine donors in theory just add chlorine and nothing else. Practically that is not true. If you want to try to add something to just contribute chlorine, you'll need a fuel neutral chlorine donor. Parlon is not one of these. HCB was the chlorine donor of choice. You may also want to try PVC or Saran if you have it as they should be more neutral. Some recommend hexachloroethane too, but it has some other undesirable properties.

The formula probably came from a questionable source. I'm always skeptical when I see such even numbers and dextrin levels over 4 or 5%. It would seem to me they may have dropped the chlorine donor and replaced it with dextrin.

Chlorine donors in theory just add chlorine and nothing else. Practically that is not true. If you want to try to add something to just contribute chlorine, you'll need a fuel neutral chlorine donor. Parlon is not one of these. HCB was the chlorine donor of choice. You may also want to try PVC or Saran if you have it as they should be more neutral. Some recommend hexachloroethane too, but it has some other undesirable properties.

Yes, and I didint trust this formula when I saw it, but I tried, because I want to make strobe without AP :)

I gonna try to add some PVC, we will see what happen ..

Does any body know some good strobe compositions with nitrate ? I have tried a few, but I am dissapointed of them.

Few minutes ago I've mixed with(+5%) PVC and it just burns , no strobing again.. But without chlorine donor I can see strobe and I can see not very visible red color, maybe in air it gonna burn brighter.

I just tested wet star, really nice strobe, really.. but it because it wet and because I've ignited one corner of star, when I will prime it, we will see.. :) not firt time to me, when with prime my srobe star is not working good..

Edited by lokys

• 2 months later...
hi to all!! for green strobe : BAR NITR 53 ,SULF 17, HEXACHLOROBENZANE 13 OR PARLON 14, MGAL 100 MESH OR FATER 12, DEXTRIN 5...IT IS A VERY GOOD COMPOSITION FROM BLESER WITHOUT AP..GOOD LUCK!! I REPLACE THE BAR NITR WITH STRON NITR IN THIS COMPOSITION AND I MAKE RED STROBO ALSO REPLACE BAR NITR WITH SODIUM NITRATE AND I MAKE GOLD STROBO..TEST IT AND TELL ME FRIEND!!!

White is easy with nitrates. I think you will have some problems trying to get good colors. I have a formula that makes great cores as a small 1/8" cube will flash 5 or 6 times and any bigger will come back to the ground.