APC Forum

Modifying consumer 1.75" shells

NightPainter

My plan is to take 50 - 100 1.75" 1.4g ball shells cut a small hole and empty the contents then refill with a binary flash mix then reseal the shells........on the day of the show. I figure that I should weigh the ball shells before opening them to get an average weight. Then make sure I don't make them any heavier when refilling.

What would be the best way to patch the dime sized hole in the shell so it's ready to shoot in hours and I get the bang possible from a 1.75 shell?

I don't want to drive a 1000 miles with 50 - 100 salutes in my vehicle for various reasons safety being the biggest. Making them ahead of time is not an option....I will not have more than 24 hrs. to modify the shells.

I am not sure and don't want to step on the administrators or anybodys toes but I don't think anyone on this forum supports the modification of any fireworks consumer or professional! Edited by Dean411

My plan is to take 50 - 100 1.75" 1.4g ball shells cut a small hole and empty the contents then refill with a binary flash mix then reseal the shells........on the day of the show. I figure that I should weigh the ball shells before opening them to get an average weight. Then make sure I don't make them any heavier when refilling.

What would be the best way to patch the dime sized hole in the shell so it's ready to shoot in hours and I get the bang possible from a 1.75 shell?

I don't want to drive a 1000 miles with 50 - 100 salutes in my vehicle for various reasons safety being the biggest. Making them ahead of time is not an option....I will not have more than 24 hrs. to modify the shells.

It's not recommended to cut apart/modify anything. If you need salutes, learn to make them.

Edited by Bonny

If you have lift, it would be easier to fill a bunch of consumer sized plastic shells with binary and solvent them up real quick, imo.

yeah IMO, it's cheaper to buy time fuse gummed tape and hemis than shells pre-made. or for that matter duct tape, pasting isnt too important...

what they said.... Edited by warthog

what they said....

I completely understand in no way whatsoever...

tongue2.gif

tongue2.gif

JK

There are a couple things not so great about your plan. The first is that it is dangerous to cut into already assembled shells. Any number of elements could cause an ignition when cutting into a shell. Secondly, if you are planning on this the day of the show you are likely going to be in a rush, which is a great way to have an accident. There's no forgiveness when flash is involved. If you do not have a magazine, making shells the day of the shoot might be the only legal way to go about it, but be sure to give yourself enough time that you do not need to rush. If you're coming up on your deadline, just call what you already have good enough. Don't push it. The last problem is that you are going to be spending nearly twice as much per shell by reusing consumer items.

As has already been mentioned, plastic hemi's would be much faster, safer, and cheaper than consumer shells.

tongue2.gif

JK

well, I had said something more let's say, provocative but the moment I posted it I decided to change it to what you see now.

note the message says it was modified shortly after it was posted. cool2.gif

dunno why I even bothered to reply to a J/K post,I must need sleep... wagh 2wacko.gif

One other point not mentioned is what are you going to do with everything you remove from the shells? Say you just dump them into a bucket at some point you may drop something incompatible with something else and may not have the chance to react and that would be BAD. And surely we would see a news story somewhere that would probably not end well! Just my 2 cents.

if I were to do this (and i wouldnt) i would dump the stars from the shell into the lift, then throw the rest into the shell with your flash. that way no leftovers. all hypothetical of course, just make your own salutes

Now I can see some benefit in premaking empty shells and taking them to the event and mixing there some binary flash and fusing everything. BUT you still have to have BP there for the lift and all the premade time fuses ready to glue in. Also you need a method of gluing in the time fuse and 5 minute epoxy has to be an expensive but likely answer to that problem.

Thanks everyone for your input. Without going in to detail concerning past consumer firework modifications....I'll just say that I'm going with plastic cans fused with lift attached and fill and epoxy them on site.

Dave has a video on on the subject and he used regular scotch tape to put the cut part of the shell together but, sometime the lift can ignite the flash so I use 5 min epoxy and tape over it to hold it in place. Just cut dime size beveled hole empty contents replace with flash comp and ready to go real quick and easy. We have done several hundreds without any duds. Check out Daves video on it.