APC Forum

Iodine for colored smoke?

Essohbe

I searched but couldn't find any info.

I wondered if anyone has ever been successful in using Iodine to color smoke compositions? I have used tincture and gotten a real dirty colored smoke. I imagine if I purified it/re crystalized it and used that in the mix then it would color it even darker? Tincture can make a dirty orangish-white color (like when you spill it or put it on a cut, that color).

Anyone be able to chime in on this? Thought maybe a dirty purple color might be achievable. I don't like the thought of paying for the dyes.

Nice thought but i have and another question too.

Blue indigo powder can colour the smoke?Used in clothes as dye and in washing machines as white catalyst(i think) for the clothes.

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/indigotin/indigotinh.htm

I think that i will make a batch with klo3/lactose but i would like to read your opinions..

Essohbe sorry for asking in your topic.

It's okay, good idea. I have read that you can use "synthetic indigo" which I presume is pthalocyanine blue? That's the expensive chems though that I am trying to avoid having to purchase.

Get a little indigo and try it maybe? As long as it is dry particles that can are tiny enough to vaporize into the smoke cloud it should work, in theory.

I never used lactose or chlorates for smoke, is it any better/give off more smoke than KNO3 does?

I made a batch but no coloured smoke..

I used and cement powder dye but with no result..

The composition i used was:

~ 30g KClO3

~ 20g Lactose

~ 50g Powder dye

Edited by pyrogeorge

Lol, I wondered about the cement dye a while ago but presumed it wouldn't work. Now I know, thanks ;)

I think the iodine might actually work but it has to be real pure then made into very fine dust.

I never used lactose or chlorates for smoke, is it any better/give off more smoke than KNO3 does?

Yes to answer your Q. Chlorate colored smokes are a industry standard . Kno3 is more a amateur mix and inconsistent. The color smokes can only be obtained by the use of chlorates.

Iodine is very expensive ,and not to mention not something you want to breath after the comp is burned. Why are you so pressed to use Iodine anyways? Save it for more interesting chemistry .

Yes, I know chlorates are the standard but between them and my KNO3 I couldn't really see that big a difference ... ? Maybe it's me.

I've become quite good at using the cheaper nitrate and I load my munition/gas rounds with that. Lol. Hey, it works :)

The color smokes can only be obtained by the use of chlorates. <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">Iodine is very expensive ,and not to mention not something you want to breath after the comp is burned. Why are you so pressed to use Iodine anyways?

Well, tincture is easy to come by and I actually have managed to make a dirty yellow colored smoke with that and nitrate. Just ideas I had and tried although I agree there's better things to use.

I have recently found a cheap source of pthalo blue I will use with chlorate and apparently I can get it by the kilo.

Damn I can't spell.

Edited by Essohbe

Yes, I know chlorates are the standard but between them and my KNO3 I couldn't really see that big a difference ... ? Maybe it's me.

I've become quite good at using the cheaper nitrate and I load my munition/gas rounds with that. Lol. Hey, it works :)

Well, tincture is easy to come by and I actually have managed to make a dirty yellow colored smoke with that and nitrate. Just ideas I had and tried although I agree there's better things to use.

I have recently found a cheap source of pthalo blue I will use with chlorate and apparently I can get it by the kilo.

Damn I can't spell.

iodine.........you cant be serious..............waste of time............................get some proper smoke dyes

dave

Iodine Smoke Comp

Azo Yellow Video

Phthalo Cyanine Blue will work great in smokes, there wont be much luck using Cement dyes, they are based on Iron Oxide. You'll need a Azoic, Vat, Solvent , Disperse Dye , Etc. Something with an oil base would help. I have lots of an Azoic Yellow smoke dye for sale right now, $6.00 per pound if anyone wants any, Ten pound boxes or more please, also have Terephthalic acid for sale $5.00lb

Azo Yellow Video at the top of this page.

There is an Iodine Smoke comp linked at the top of this page. I have a smoke formula using Cadmium metal I am going to try soon. Ill try to post the video when I have the time.

Edited by cracker

Regrettably, I don't think an average person can get iodine these days for any price, since it's on the DEA "strictly regulated chemicals" list. So if you should happen to have a quantity, you can probably sell it for a huge profit to your local meth lab supply house and use the proceeds to buy actual dye.

God help us if they ever find a way of using potassium nitrate to cook meth.

The first time I read this I cracked up and thought you were kidding. Since it seems you're actually serious, you should probably know that iodine is more expensive than every dye I've seen used in smoke compositions, except for white and black smoke. We just tried to order iodine for our legit lab by way of a legit university. ~ $150/lb, and we have to fill out a DEA authorized purchaser sheet which must be signed by the chemistry department chair. Apparently the professor isn't enough anymore.

Tincture is lets say, $4/oz, and contains 2% iodine. Thats $3000/lb. $20-30/lb for smoke dye doesn't seem that bad anymore, does it?

:lol: Lol... I guess I'm not allowed to experiment?

This was a thread about tinkering and doing it on the thrift as I was inspired by Pyrogeorge's thread. I asked if anybody could chime in regarding something in line with that context - anything that might make a color in smoke for cheaper than the expensive dyes.

Mumbles, lol, dude I'm not talking about buying pure Iodine :P

I will test powder dye for clothes..

Does anyone made a test with this dye?

Edited by pyrogeorge