APC Forum

magic fingertip flash trick

shagaKahn

Anybody every tried the magic fingertip flash trick, where you have a tiny dab of the requisite powders on separate fingertips and when you snap them you get a minute instant Armstrong's flash?

Ah the days before the crankazoids made red P a bad word . . .

Anybody every tried the magic fingertip flash trick, where you have a tiny dab of the requisite powders on separate fingertips and when you snap them you get a minute instant Armstrong's flash?

Oh wow, didn't know that stuff was armstrong! I don't feel like trying that anymore..... ;)

Until I read it again, I wasn't actually sure what he was talking about. It's pretty clear it's not a perchlorate/aluminum mix he's referring to now. It's potassium chlorate and red phosphorus for those as dense as I was at first.

Until I read it again, I wasn't actually sure what he was talking about. It's pretty clear it's not a perchlorate/aluminum mix he's referring to now. It's potassium chlorate and red phosphorus for those as dense as I was at first.

That's the old magic trick known as "finger blitz". I've tried it and done so successfully. I've also done it and gotten a nasty burn. It's a technique that requires practice and skill (and it helps to be able to play off the pain if it doesn't work as planned :o ;) ). Several people were trying it at a WWB afterglow a few years ago - very entertaining amongst a gathering of pyro folks.

WSM B)

It is also very easy to blow the tips of your fingers off if you get the amount needed wrong,which i believe has happened over the years to different magicians!:wacko:

It is also very easy to blow the tips of your fingers off if you get the amount needed wrong,which i believe has happened over the years to different magicians!:wacko:

With the amount s that cling to the end of your fingers , that will never happen. Burns will be the worst that will happen. R.P. has a bad rap for being used to make drugs, therefore the Gov. steps in a tries to save people from themselves. 2angry.gif Sadly this takes a few of the fun chems that make pyro a blast.

With the amount s that cling to the end of your fingers , that will never happen. Burns will be the worst that will happen. R.P. has a bad rap for being used to make drugs, therefore the Gov. steps in a tries to save people from themselves. 2angry.gif Sadly this takes a few of the fun chems that make pyro a blast.

according to best of AFN VI page 160 if the RP is old or you use to much people have lost not just a fingertip but a fair chunck of hand,certainly using RP and blast in the same sentence is quite apt!:rolleyes:

according to best of AFN VI page 160 if the RP is old or you use to much people have lost not just a fingertip but a fair chunck of hand,certainly using RP and blast in the same sentence is quite apt!:rolleyes:

There's a big difference between mixing a sample of armstrongs and using a binary dusting on the fingertips. You're either misunderstanding the conversation, or heavily overestimating the power of such compositions. There is no explosive in the world that could cause a piece of the hand to be dismembered in that quantity. There's more composition in a single roll cap than would stick to the fingertips. In quantities exceeding half a gram, yes, there might be enough there to damage the tip of your fingers. To get that much powder on the tips of your fingers you would literally need to pour the powder onto them so that it formed a mound, making it impossible to snap your fingers without it all spilling off. Even if you somehow managed to get that much powder to stick, since the two chemicals are separated until the fingers are brought together, they would not be thoroughly integrated when ignited and be significantly less vigorous than a well mixed composition would be. Most of the chemicals would go unreacted altogether because of the lack of integration.

That's the old magic trick known as "finger blitz". I've tried it and done so successfully. I've also done it and gotten a nasty burn. It's a technique that requires practice and skill (and it helps to be able to play off the pain if it doesn't work as planned :o ;) ). Several people were trying it at a WWB afterglow a few years ago - very entertaining amongst a gathering of pyro folks.

WSM B)

The method employed involves dipping the pad of the thumb in one and the pad of the middle finger in the other ingredient (so only a very light dusting is picked up), mash the two fingers together and snap, an audible loud pop is produced. Care must be taken to get only a very little phosphorus on the one finger or a bit of burning phosphorus may be left on your finger after the trick, resulting in a painful burn (trust me ;) :o).

If you obtain the requisite materials, this can be fun if you're careful.

WSM B)

• 3 weeks later...

Will it work with match heads and the striker pad? With a 70 percent match heads and 30 percent the striker pad?

It would probably burn very slowly and therefore badly burn your fingertips.

Ya , that sounds like a terrible blister in the making . 2blink.gif

At least the real thing is consumed in a micro second , v.s. a match, which is intended to burn for a long enough time to kindle a fire. Apply the same concept to your finger nowunsure2.gif.

take a box of strike anywhere matches,now cut off the striker part,now burn so that the striker part is face down on a saucer.A sticky brown substance will form.After all the paper is burned away take a razor blade and scap it into a pile.Dab your index finger tip into it then rub with long strokes using thumb.SMOKE will come off your fingers.Smoke no flame.Use to do it when I was young and dumb and thought bars were where all the chicks were at.I did impress a few.One babe laughed so hard her panties fell off right in the bar,of course i helped her back into them,lol!It works!!

Edited by allrocketspsl