APC Forum

Titanium Salute Tutorial

hawaiiwerks

I am interested in making 3" and 4" titanium salutes and I am wondering if anyone has a tutorial on how it is constructed and to add titanium flash powder if thats whats inside of a titanium salute. Thanks in advance.

I started a thread on this a while back because I had some safety concerns:

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/6786-question-on-titanium-salutes/

I make my salutes with the 70/30 flash and the same paper hemis I use for other shells. I think most folks prefer using cylinder shells for this but the construction with hemis is easier - at least for me. There isn't much to the construction for my salutes. I leave some space in the shells and also add some rice hulls along with the flash. Then paste as usual. I'm sure others will chime in with their methods. I would suggest glueing the titanium to the inside of your shell rather than adding it loosely to your flash. Again, see link above. I don't know where you live but it's very dry where I live right now. Flash is very sensitive to static. You may want to consider binary mixing and/or waiting for more humid weather. Also, I would not recomend making salutes as your first shells if you're not experienced.

I am interested in making 3" and 4" titanium salutes and I am wondering if anyone has a tutorial on how it is constructed and to add titanium flash powder if thats whats inside of a titanium salute. Thanks in advance.

Step One: Pay a large sum of money for various chemicals and tools

Step Two: Create the most overused effect by taking all the creativity and imagination out of your firework manufacturing.

Step Three: Watch the crowd respond the best to the effect (Ti salute) that took you the shortest amount of time.

Step Four: Get pissed off and only make shells that take some small spark of creativity and skill to make.

I am guessing by your name you are from Hawaii, seeing as there is no (as far as I know) pyrotechnic club in Hawaii, nor a way to legally manufacture, I hope you will forgive me when I ask you to not make salutes at all.

They are dangerous, not only for your safety, but salutes will only bring more attention (not the good kind) to your activities.

Asking a forum of devoted hobbyists how to make illegal items that are the centerpiece of anti-firework legislation is not only rude, but ill-advised.

Anyway, I guarantee you that you will get tired of salutes real quick. The first day I have ever spent at a pyrotechnic club convention I thought salutes were the coolest thing since the internet, the second day they were annoying and ever-present.

Now the only salutes I actually like are the salamis (obviously leave to the experienced manufacturers), and timed shells.

Guess I shouldn't have given him any advice other than "don't do it". Oh well, I suppose it would be hard for him to get chems if he's really in Hawaii.

Its not hard to get chemicals to Hawaii. I have a lot of chemicals I purchased from online. Also aerial fireworks are illegal in Hawaii but you'd be amazed by how many are lit on new years eve and july 4th.

• 3 weeks later...