APC Forum

Chinese paper hemis

Zmuro

I think the operative term here should be "less pasting". You'd still have to paste, just with less layers required. I don't know how'd they compare to shells pasted normally though. Sounds like a good experiment for someone who has access to these to undertake.

I have not tried those but one useful detail I found is: the inner hemis are standard sized (at least in the 3" size) and can be used to make shells as usual (usual amount of pasting). The outer ones are larger and won´t be good/optimal for ordinary shooting when pasted with the normal amount of layers. But they´re still good where OD doesn´t count, e.g. for rocket headings.

Thus: You can make 2 shells with one set.

Another nice aspect is that they´re never deformed, as they hold each other in shape.

Edited by AdmiralDonSnider

You still need to paste them to get them sealed against fire leaking in. I've always seen these made in a certain way. The inner set is filled, settled, and closed as usual. Tape it shut with thin tape like kraft paper tape or masking tape or something. Then the hemi is slathered in white glue, and the second set is placed over the top. Remember to drill or cut a notch in the outer set to accept the time fuse. Then the shell is pasted essentially just enough to seal everything up, and hold it all together. This usually amounts to 2-3 layers or so.

The few that I've seen/used had some very nice breaks. They're however a little expensive for regular use IMO.

an idea that me and usa pyro were throwing around a while back, oh the lazy people were one of the comments [no offence 50 and im not one of them] no experience but give it a few layers [which it does say in the description] and i see no problem, would be handy for shells a bove 3" with many layers to add, whats the point saving a few layers on a 3 unless you want dozens imho

dan.

Edited by dan999ification

a little secret some of the big guys use is to actually cut a hemi in quarters then paste and get perfect breaks.I have done with three and four inch and can say it works great the other secret is they use a perforater on a wheel to perforate the shell in quarters

Personally I don't see the benefits. It'll probably cost you less time to apply 2 layers of pasting. For example my 4" shells require 4 layers of pasting.

The straw board walls aren't doing that much for confinement.

• 4 weeks later...
I'd have to agree, these are no substitute for a well pasted shell but they are very quick to assemble and work pretty well. I sell more of the 4 part shells than the traditional 2 part models so people must be getting on alright with them, maybe as suggested used as rocket headers. I have yet to try coating the inner shell with white glue and attaching the outer pair but I could see this could work well.