APC Forum

Go Getter Tooling

Blackthumb

Here is a quick Go Getter spindle...post-10839-0-78824300-1327032048_thumb.jpgpost-10839-0-06296900-1327032113_thumb.jpgpost-10839-0-31160700-1327032106_thumb.jpgpost-10839-0-42409300-1327032097_thumb.jpg

Drill press used as press only....

Edited by Blackthumb

Cool, the 'getters look like they'll work well. Did you make the spindle using the drill press? It looks easy enough to make something similar just using the drill and a file, but that would be some nice work getting those sharp edges if that's how you went about it.

I made a couple spindles similar to that by chucking up 1/4 20 brass bolts and having at it with a hand file. After roughing in with the file then I finished them with ever finer grades of emery cloth. No fancy sharp angles though. I like that yours has a flange that will assure consistant depth and can be used to pack down the comp as well. Nice! Edited by killforfood

Turned it from bronze rod on a small lathe...could be done in drill press with files etc. but would take a while...works great.

Cool, the 'getters look like they'll work well. Did you make the spindle using the drill press? It looks easy enough to make something similar just using the drill and a file, but that would be some nice work getting those sharp edges if that's how you went about it.

They do work well...can tape a small skewer on and they become good little rockets. Regular BP with some spher. TI and alum flake added...great spark tail

I have not tried core burning go-getters. I just pack wet star. or go-getter comp. around a piece of black match, in a capped tube. The dried comp. secures the black match to the go-getter. When dry, placed in a shell, I bend the black match, toward the burst charge. Do you have a special way on attaching the black match, or other primer? I would expect core burning go-getter to have a short flight time, but a lot of zip?

i have watched the go-getter topics alot in the last few days, i cant seem to get them just right. ( haven't tried them in a shell yet, but my standard is mini-rocket take off )

may i ask what the specs on that spindle / rammer is?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
have been experimenting with go getter tooling.My tooling was good got lots of thurst then made up go getters with cali's tooling.His spindle is wider in the middle I guess giving more of a core.I thought mine was quick then tried his.No lie it was laid on my driveway lit stood back shot like a rocket.So a wider core seems to be the best.I have a shell for this week and the go getters are with report which i havent seen yet so will post if its a success.

have been experimenting with go getter tooling.My tooling was good got lots of thurst then made up go getters with cali's tooling.His spindle is wider in the middle I guess giving more of a core.I thought mine was quick then tried his.No lie it was laid on my driveway lit stood back shot like a rocket.So a wider core seems to be the best.I have a shell for this week and the go getters are with report which i havent seen yet so will post if its a success.

I wouldn't mind seeing the shell even if it doesn't succeed. It might not be as fun to post for the makers of the video though.

I wouldn't mind seeing the shell even if it doesn't succeed. It might not be as fun to post for the makers of the video though.

its already pasted mate it should work fine,Im just still getting my nn(nozzeless) rockets online

Here are my Go Getter tools. Mine were designed as a group effort by Ned Gorski and Wayne J of Mumpyro. Derrick at Mumpyro makes them should you decide to check them out, This is a really easy way to make them compared to the old way of pouring a semi-solid slurry of comp into the tubes then just as they begin to solidify enough to hold shape, adding the core and fusing. I admit I never made them the old way, mostly because it didn't sound easy and it sounded pretty messy and I know full well I am a klutz. blush.gif

another thing to note in the pictures are the tubes used, these were custom ordered by Ned specifically for making getters. The ones in the pictures here have been treated with a 50/50 solution of distilled water/sodium silicate (which itself is a 40% solution to start) for fire resistance. That is why they have the dark look to them.

Here is a video on how the tools I have are used.

post-11291-0-90924300-1333478426_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-63595600-1333478441_thumb.jpg

Edited by warthog

Nice tooling Warthog. Lets see some shells now... Oh wait, you are still on Lent! laugh2.gif

You should have chosen smoking instead...2wacko.gif

-dag

Edited by dagabu

You're right, I should have chosen smoking and then stayed away from smoking for good.

I need to quit smoking... I really do.

hopefully you don't smoke and do pyro at the same time whistle.gif

You're right, I should have chosen smoking and then stayed away from smoking for good.

I need to quit smoking... I really do.

I got your back if you decide to quit, I did fifteen years, one month and five days ago. Still miss the smoke but it can be done.

-dag

I got your back if you decide to quit, I did fifteen years, one month and five days ago. Still miss the smoke but it can be done.

-dag

I have been a smoker for near 50 years. Not to long ago, doctors told me I am getting close to the point of COPD & Emphysema > it’s quit or start packing an oxygen bottle for me sooner than later. Since that news, I went from 2 packs a day down to about 3 single cigarettes a day. I hope in the near future to get that to ZERO a day. I assure all of you nicotine is more addictive than cocaine or heroin. It is one tough sunmbitch to get the smoking monkey off your back, after 50 years.

I have been a smoker for near 50 years. Not to long ago, doctors told me I am getting close to the point of COPD & Emphysema > it's quit or start packing an oxygen bottle for me sooner than later. Since that news, I went from 2 packs a day down to about 3 single cigarettes a day. I hope in the near future to get that to ZERO a day. I assure all of you nicotine is more addictive than cocaine or heroin. It is one tough sunmbitch to get the smoking monkey off your back, after 50 years.

smoked for most of my life,got tired of paying $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ decided to quit and did cold turkey 15 years ago.Thata alot of money spent on something else

Neds tooling is nice but over kill if you ask me,I have the set cali makes works great no need for a sleeve or rammer just turn the spindle around.His tooling is condensed and gives a nice core much better than mine did.The GG's sitting in a 4" can shell should zzzzzzzzzzzzoooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm thru the night sky if I can get this 3lb NN rocket to work consistently

nice looking set! warthog if you don't mind me asking, why are there multiple spindles? is it for different sized go getter tubes?