APC Forum

Blue Star Formula

Blackthumb

found this formula in my notes from the 60's...anyone recognize it?

Potassium Perchlorate 14

Aluminum Dust 6

Clacium Carbonate 1

Dextrin 1

Shellac 2

Paris Green 10

Mercurous Chloride 2

That's not a workable formula, someone must be pulling your leg. It doesn't have nearly enough oxidizer, which should in any case be potassium chlorate with Paris Green. And if you think Paris Green is hard to come by, you won't believe how hard it is to find Calomel.

My first guesses were Kentish or Weingart. Neither have said formula. Honestly anyone who adds calcium to a blue formula has a few screws loose as far as I'm concerned anyway.

My first guesses were Kentish or Weingart. Neither have said formula. Honestly anyone who adds calcium to a blue formula has a few screws loose as far as I'm concerned anyway.

The only thought I had about the calcium component was he was leaning away from just blue to slightly purple which gives the illusion of a deeper blue. Calcium isn't a true orange (if there really is such a thing), but a red-orange and the effect can be like a little red added to the blue, which predominates.

Just my thinking, anyway...:rolleyes:

WSM B)

Oh, and I'd never use potassium perchlorate with Paris green either (I've only ever used potassium chlorate with it).

Edited by WSM

I think you're right WSM, Majdali Purple looks more like a deep blue to for instance. Probably because of the small part SrNO3 in it.

I think you're right WSM, Majdali Purple looks more like a deep blue to for instance. Probably because of the small part SrNO3 in it.

True, and you should see that one in a cavity comet with silver or gold glitter,... gorgeous! :D

WSM B)

I actually doubt that Paris Green is that totally superior in colour. What makes it superior is:

1. It doesn't need another chlorine donor than the potassium chlorate.

2. Paris Green stars are easily ignited.

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

I actually doubt that Paris Green is that totally superior in colour. What makes it superior is:

Regardless, I'd recommend priming them.

As to it's being "superior", that's totally debatable; although Dr. Shimizu suggested a standard for blue flame using Paris green and ammonium perchlorate (and who are we to argue with the late but venerable and astute Doctor?!)!

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

What about the unique paris green flame envelope that many people talk about?

I didn't notice it with potassium chlorate but with ammonium perchlorate. I used the "standard" flame suggested by Dr. Shimizu but used hexamine instead of shellac. The flame was really enormous.

its just an old paint coloring agent they stopped using due toxicity i have done five or six blues with it and wasnt impressed and I here from his mouth a rocket elite expert say hum not using paris green again so if you go to skylighter they have alot of blues using copper powder which I have not had time to make yet but will when i do

That's a nice one, yes.

It actually all depends on the kind of blue you like. If you like a deep and pure blue, AP blues with copper oxide or copper benzoate are probably as good as anything with Paris Green. If you prefer them brighter and/or with a little green, I'd advice Bleser Aqua or 50AE's very simple but nice blue. :)