APC Forum

Good price on screens at McMaster Carr

killforfood

I think under $50 is pretty reasonable to make a full set of screens.

The CVG Fir frames will cost more than the screen.

Very cheap though compared to online prices

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/killforfood/Pyro/McMasterSSScreen.jpg

I think under $50 is pretty reasonable to make a full set of screens.

The CVG Fir frames will cost more than the screen.

Very cheap though compared to online prices

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/killforfood/Pyro/McMasterSSScreen.jpg

yeah i have about ten of them

How did you frame them?

I bought my screens from them and framed them with 1x2 pine and quarter round molding. I also bought 1 sq ft pieces and wish my screens were just a little bit bigger, maybe 12x18 instead.

I've always shyed away from using the thinner wire (yet cheaper) screens. Let us know how durable they are. I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks as I'm planning some larger screens in the near future. That is at least in the common mixing sizes.

I have 80 and 100 mesh ss screen and some brass as well....making myself sets of those...using maple frames. Should I make some extras and offer....any interest?

Can make them any size as I have the wire available in 36" width...

Will post photos when mine are finished...

I've always shyed away from using the thinner wire (yet cheaper) screens. Let us know how durable they are. I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks as I'm planning some larger screens in the near future. That is at least in the common mixing sizes.

I was undecided at first but erred on the side of high flow over strength. The coarser mesh screens should be fine. The 200 mesh and 325 mesh may be a little delicate.

Hi Blackthumb,

Maple frames… Sounds nice, I bet they'll sell.

I bought a 12"x12" 200 mesh brass screen from the local hardware store and it was $20 just for the screen not including the frame. OUCH!!!

I had a full set like yours, plus a few extras in the coarser sizes. Honestly, I never even touched the 200 or 325 mesh screens in the 6 years I had them. I didn't even bother mounting them into frames. They would be useful if you plan to make your own MgAl or something however.

thanks for the tip. i just ordered my first set of good screens.

I'll likely mount them to either hardwood frames, or i was also thinking of using embroidery loops.