APC Forum

Removing the motor from a sleeve

pyrothrust

hi is their a good method for removing the motor from the support sleeve. one side will always come of. and the other is a pain to remove , as the motor case is a touch fiti n the sleeve and obviously expands a very small amount as the motor is pressed. as working on a small tool to fit in the end of the motor with a taped hole and bolt and small 6mm pin that will extrude as you do the bolt up and lift the motor out. but this may be too much effort when their is an easier way. my suppot is 6mm ally . may be a new support tube is required or too bore a few thousands of an inch " of the ID

regards

Would it be too difficult to put a small notch in the top of the support so that a screw driver could be inserted and pry it out? It should at least get it started enough to be easier to remove.

I usually attach the wolter spindle puller to the spindle after removing it from the base and get the puller snug against the tube but do not pop the spindle out yet. Then I unclamp the support and pop one half off. Then I grab the handle of the sindle puller and can pry the motor away from the other half pretty easily. Then once the motor is free from the support I pop the spindle out. Pretty easy process for 1lb motors. I dunno about anything bigger.

I gave up on split supports and now press all my motors out of the supports into a larger tube placed below the support.

-dag

Dagabu . Are you saying that you use a split sleeve but press the motor out . with a ram the same OD s the as the tube support ID . and it just oozes out through a slightly bigger tube

Dagabu . Are you saying that you use a split sleeve but press the motor out .

Yup, that's what I do.

with a ram the same OD as the as the tube support ID . and it just oozes out through a slightly bigger tube

Nope, the tubes opening is larger then the supports.

med_gallery_9798_43_21088.jpg

med_gallery_9798_43_54379.jpg

would it be safe to say that I am going to have a new sleeve made and if it is going to pressed out the sleeve could be made in one piece , which would be easier to machine.

would it be safe to say that I am going to have a new sleeve made and if it is going to pressed out the sleeve could be made in one piece , which would be easier to machine.

A slit in the sleeve allows for some slight variance in tube outer diameter, as well as a "weak point" for a predictable failure mode if the motor happens to explode during the pressing operation. I wouldn't omit it if at all possible

A slit in the sleeve allows for some slight variance in tube outer diameter, as well as a "weak point" for a predictable failure mode if the motor happens to explode during the pressing operation. I wouldn't omit it if at all possible

Only the sleeve I press the rocket motor into is solid, the rest are all split design. Like Frank says, a predictable failure mode.

-dag

Just pop off the side that comes off easy, and tap the base of the spindle with it while holding the other half of the support. Your spindle should still be in the motor, this will pop the motor out of the tube support.

Same way I do it psyco. Even with large high power motor that are finicky. I have always worried that this action may have a effect on the fuel grain but have never had problems. So I stopped thinking about it. I did just order 2 of Bens new clams. Hell of a way to kill a thousand dollar bill.

Just pop off the side that comes off easy, and tap the base of the spindle with it while holding the other half of the support. Your spindle should still be in the motor, this will pop the motor out of the tube support.

I pull the spindle first and then press the motor out. I feel much better about not damaging the fuel grain this way.

-dag

I pull the spindle first and then press the motor out. I feel much better about not damaging the fuel grain this way.

-dag

I yank and pulled on my motors, throw them into the freezer a few times, beat on them with shit, get pissed, then finally get them off the spindle...damage is overated...still winning.