APC Forum

Disecting star colors

TYRONEEZEKIEL

Does anyone have a clue to what comp this is at 1:05

This has got to be the most perfect color to ever grace my eyes.

Edited by TYRONEEZEKIEL

I would suggest part of the beauty is due to being filmed with a good camera.

Definitely an aqua of some sort. I have some inside knowledge on this display. We have a lot of shells with a composition the chinese are calling "sea blue peony", which seems to be what our supplier calls aqua.

I could possibly confirm that this is a "Sea Blue Peony", maybe even get a star, but I can't see that helping us get closer to the formula without someone donating generously to the analysis budget.

Anyone got really good chinese factory composition contacts? I could probably get the serial number for the product.

I love that color, would be great to know the composition.

On an unrelated note, and no offense meant to Seymour or any kiwis that read this, but the New Zealand accent still makes me laugh a bit. Though the Aussie accent probably has a similar effect on you guys anyway.

Gary Smith has an aqua colored parlon star. It is in my notebook, but I have not tried it yet. Most of the other colors I've used with that system worked great. Lately I've been using the High MgAl/Carbonate system. I think it may be more difficult to get an aqua from that system, but a little experimenting may be in order.

If you have access to PF there are six or seven aqua comps in the PFP database.

That color is something I haven't seen much.Looks cool.

Just another thought maybe try a 80/20 mix veline green/blue and see what it looks like. It may be more turquoise than you want though.

Edited by DanielC

Try Baechle System 6 Aqua - these are excellent true colors. Parlon bound though.

I don't actually have Joel's book, so the only reference I have for his formulas is passfire. Do you by any chance mean his system 6 Turquoise? If so, I would highly recommend that formula for a good aqua. I can't give it away, but it is relatively close to the aqua I use, which I get many compliments for. I tried a few of his other formulas for "Aqua", and didn't really like them. The color wasn't too bad, but they gave me more of the impression of a washed out blue instead of a true solid aqua. These pastel sort of colors are much more difficult than one would really think. It's one of the reasons one of the shells in my secret weapon PGI competition bag is a pastel rainbow multibreak shell. It's one of the few I don't mind talking about. Well face it, without the right formulas the shell is crap.

I would love to try that color. I really dont mind working with parlon bound stars at all. I think its a bonus

Like I said in another thread, I used to like parlon stars, but now I'm only binding stars with pure magnesium with parlon. I definitely changed my minds this winter, since one kilo of blue composition and two kilos or red were more or less destroyed by moist. In my experience the air humidity must be pretty low, when you make them or it will be absorbed and really trapped in the "paste" of parlon and acetone.

This is also Baechle Aqua but obviously another system:

Potassium perchlorate 67

Copper oxychloride 12

Stearic acid 12

Chlorowax 5

Dextrin 4

I don't actually have Joel's book, so the only reference I have for his formulas is passfire. Do you by any chance mean his system 6 Turquoise?

System 6 doesn't list an aqua. Here's system 5 Aqua:

Potassium Perchlorate 5

Ammonium Perchlorate 30

Barium Nitrate 45

Cupric Carbonate 1

Red Gum 10

Potassium Benzoate 5

Dextrin 4

I'd imagine a more "true " blue and cheaper could be made out of Kclo3 . It seems to burn much cooler , not destroying the sensitive blue color . Although I have achieved a really nice aqua color with perch, I noticed that it seems to burn much slower than its Kclo3 partner.

I'd imagine a more "true " blue and cheaper could be made out of Kclo3 . It seems to burn much cooler , not destroying the sensitive blue color . Although I have achieved a really nice aqua color with perch, I noticed that it seems to burn much slower than its Kclo3 partner.

Yes. Potassium perchlorate is much slower, hotter and more expensive, if you can't get it first hand from someone who imports it in large quantities. I only use potassium perchlorate for flash and primes.

I don't actually have Joel's book, so the only reference I have for his formulas is passfire. Do you by any chance mean his system 6 Turquoise?

System 6 doesn't list an aqua.

Yes, my fault. I did not try the turquoise, but other colors suggest that the system is excellent. If you look at Baechles Color table printed in his script, the turquoise doesn´t seem to be too far from aqua. He is one of few having an eye on correctly denominating his colors.