APC Forum

pulse jet engines

madmandotcom

i have built several pulse jet style engines in my time, all of which have been powered by methylated spirits or petrol,

i know that diesel has some quite different combustive properties than petroleum and methylated spirits but as fumes, it still has significant combustion rates and as pulse jets rely mainly on vapors rather than liquid combustion and diesel is significantly cheaper than the other two accelarants listed above, is diesel usable in a pulse jet engine?

thanks

mads

i have built several pulse jet style engines in my time, all of which have been powered by methylated spirits or petrol,

i know that diesel has some quite different combustive properties than petroleum and methylated spirits but as fumes, it still has significant combustion rates and as pulse jets rely mainly on vapors rather than liquid combustion and diesel is significantly cheaper than the other two accelarants listed above, is diesel usable in a pulse jet engine?

thanks

mads

no, unless you find a way of pressurizing the vapour before it is ignited.

dan.

mads

Pictures, videos or your mothers hand written letter or I call you a liar....

-dag

very well then, i got a vid cam for xmas so next time i am at a cybercafe i shall upload a vid of one of my jet engines Edited by madmandotcom

very well then, i got a vid cam for xmas so next time i am at a cybercafe i shall upload a vid of one of my jet engines

Video must show you holding todays paper or the Bunny gets it :glare:

very well then, i got a vid cam for xmas so next time i am at a cybercafe i shall upload a vid of one of my jet engines

Great! I would love to see one work. I have one at work that heats our building... No lie, I have proof ;)

http://www.fulton.com/products/productprofile.php?ptc=hw&uid=12

OK, so its not a jet engine but the concept is very similar (a little noisy) and the boiler can be ran at only 5% with no reduction in efficiency.

-dag

As a rule, a pulse jet will run on anything that burns. Sawdust, coal dust, diesel, waste oil, alcohol, propane, and so on, all have been used to run pulsejets. I've seen a Reynst combustor run on shredded plastic shopping bags.

A jam jar jet, which is probably what you have, will not run on diesel, unless you plan on being the first one to get one to drink from an annular fuel delivery system like an actual Reynst. If you have an actual pulsejet, just make a pressurized fuel system and mount the injector at whatever spot makes the most sense for whatever type of pulse jet you have.