APC Forum

Star, comet, etc. dryer

M1l2n

I have a welding rod oven for keeping moister out of welding rods. There is no exposed element but there is no vent either. It has a thermostat that I can control the temp from 90 all the way up to 250 degrees. I put some charcoal stars in it at 125. Well after an hour, the stars light off….pretty wild seeing 4 pounds of stars lighting at once ground level.:o No harm was done but it is hard to believe that they would light at that low of a temperature. Maybe some of you might have an idea why they caught fire. I was thinking that maybe it was because there was no vent, IE no air circulation. What do yall think? Thanks Monty

Tiger Willow Star;

BP Mill Dust 60 oz

Homemade airfloat charcoal 36 oz

Dextrin 8 oz

Sulfur 4.2 oz.

Lampblack 5.7 oz.

Edited by M1l2n

I was talking with some of the Guys at Passfire and we may have figured out what happened. The temp. probes that I was using were only 3" long. The oven is 24" long. I never really thought about it but the oven could have been 250 in the back. I'm going to recheck the temp but in the back this time. I will let yall know what comes of this.

:lol: I was attempting to post a image of the refrigerator kiln used by the host or guest of the 'PBS Create' Show: "Wood Turning Workshop". The refrigerator kiln had a incandescent light bulb for the heating element, a meat thermometer as a temperature gauge, just stuck in a hole, drilled in the door. The chimney appeared to be a piece of pvc pipe. The fan appeared to be stock, original.

It was very unsightly, down and dirty, yet entertaining. If one has a sense of humor, lives in a rural area, without zoning, a well ventilated out-house could of been built around it, with a crescent moon on the, (lockable), door.

Edited by Zingy