APC Forum

King Kong charcoal grinder - extruder - ?

oldguy

Awesome find, got one like it grandma left me. I use it every year to churn out sausage!

Now scratching my head trying to figure out a motor to drive it.

Looks like it would take about a 2 or 3 + HP 220V motor.

Now scratching my head trying to figure out a motor to drive it.

Looks like it would take about a 2 or 3 + HP 220V motor.

Hi Oldguy,

We use one like that to grind our Elk and Deer into burger and sausage. We spin the auger with a big hole hog drill chucked onto the end of it. It's a real handful to run that way but we can grind the whole front half of an Elk in an evening. I don't figure you'll need my help though to come up with an elegant solution for your grinder.

Looking forward to seeing the end product

It's going to be a little while before I get it driven,

Am in the middle of a charcoal retort gizmo build, as soon as some mail order parts arrive.

Which should be in a day or 2.

This monster is 3ft long & weights about 160 lbs.

Any idea what size hp eletric motor would be optimal to run it?

SWEET, that is an awesome grinder. I bet it would handle both charcoal and MgAl like a champ. If you want to use it for both I would bet a quick wash with HCl followed by water would get rid of any remaining MgAl that you wouldn't want in the charcoal. Sausage and burgers sound like a pretty solid use too.

SWEET, that is an awesome grinder. I bet it would handle both charcoal and MgAl like a champ. If you want to use it for both I would bet a quick wash with HCl followed by water would get rid of any remaining MgAl that you wouldn't want in the charcoal. Sausage and burgers sound like a pretty solid use too.

Thanks for the kind words.

No need to run mg/al through it.

I have that one down pat on a small scale.

gallery_10713_78_60859.jpg

Water quenched mg/al

gallery_10713_78_165960.jpg

gallery_10713_78_411131.jpg

gallery_10713_78_283519.jpg

gallery_10713_78_228944.jpg

gallery_10713_78_199663.jpg

gallery_10713_78_10510.jpg

That's what I would have guessed also. The triple V-belt pulley says it all. But OldGuy, surely you're not going to use anything as mundane as an electric motor? Surely that piece of equipment needs a steam engine. :glare:

Here you go, this should work nicely. Now you just have to get the guy that built it to part with it. Not likely :blush:

1/2 Scale 6HP CASE

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/killforfood/Pyro/6HPhalfscaleCASE.jpg