APC Forum

Found 600g charcoal <125µm (120mesh)

Potassiumchlorate

I had forgotten I had it. It's BBQ charcoal of alder, birch and willow; it's the one I used in my BP before. I still use that BP in my lift.

Is this a good charcoal for pinball prime? It's incredibly cheap compared with pure willow or grapevine, so I'd rather use this, if it works.

Charcoal experts, help me. ;)

I'm sure it will work just fine. Outside of black powder and charcoal streamers you're not going to notice much difference between charcoal in other compositions.

i have used willow and have been using pine for pinball prime recently, because thats what i have,works fine.

i would think hardwoods like those used normally in bbq charcoal would be better as they smoulder longer giving more ignitability.

dan.

I've found that charcoal doesn't really matter in primes all that much. There are benefits to both quick and slow burning charcoals, and really I'm unsure which is more advantageous. I use commercial crappy airfloat charcoal with no problems in pinball prime.

I have heard that a bit slower prime works better, since it's not burning off so fast, thus having more time to ignite the stars.

I could of course also use it in BP again. The "hottest" charcoal I have is pure willow, which I use only in H3. Grapevine I use in BP, since the milling makes a thorough integration, compensating for the charcoal being a bit less reactive.