APC Forum

Red Gum

californiapyro

For today only I can get bulk red gum for $6 a LB, unmilled, shipped. Should I do it? i need to purchase 50 lbs. would anyone be interested in it once milled? i need some sage business advice. sorry if this is the wrong forum for this...

-Cali

For today only I can get bulk red gum for $6 a LB, unmilled, shipped. Should I do it? i need to purchase 50 lbs. would anyone be interested in it once milled? i need some sage business advice. sorry if this is the wrong forum for this...

-Cali

I just saw this but I don't think its a real good deal. Maybe if it was airfloat you could make a few bucks but probably not enough for the hassle. Since it isn't airfloat it will have to be milled and red gum isn't real easy to mill as it is fairly sticky.

£18 per k here, i would but 50lbs?

dan.

well, deal's over. im pretty glad i didnt do it, it would have been a hassle

If you're going to be buying in bulk, there is no reason to pay that much for clumpy stuff. I paid less than that for a full bag of airmilled primo Red gum.

If you're going to be buying in bulk, there is no reason to pay that much for clumpy stuff. I paid less than that for a full bag of airmilled primo Red gum.

I think I paid $2.00 a pound at PGI three years ago. Yes, it was chunky but I do own a coffee grinder so it was no biggy.

-dag

woah good deal! hey, can I ballmill it with some cab-o-sil? i could probably fit 10 or so pounds in at a time...

woah good deal! hey, can I ballmill it with some cab-o-sil? i could probably fit 10 or so pounds in at a time...

If you want a very sticky, red lined ball mill jar then you can but seriously, don't ball mill Red Gum. Blade mill it but no need for Cab-O-Sil. It dissolves in alcohol so if you really want to make sure to get the rocks and such out, use a 5 gallon pail, add 10# of Red Gum to 2 gallons of alcohol, put the lid on it and let it dissolve. Stir, stir, stir! Pull off a quart at a time after stirring it well and "filter" it through a 60-100 mesh filter stack.

I just throw out what does not pass both and save the remaining slurry after weighing out the sediment that I threw away. My alcohol weighs 6# 13.55oz. per gallon, plus 10# of Red Gum. Equals 23.69 pounds total and just subtract the sediment. Considering evaporation and all, I just mark 2.25:1 on the pail and use as is. Be sure to stir well before using.

I have since done away with making BP with Red Gum and no longer have a pail full of the stuff but that was how I used to do it anyway.

-dag

Lucky Yanks. The cheapest red gum I have bought costs 10 times more than that.

You can get it at the same prices we do. You just have to be willing to bring in a large quantity, or know someone who will. Most of the cheapest prices we get are because we import directly from the supplier. You have to cut out the middle man to get the best prices. Some of the small time shops I've seen in europe probably go through at least 3 or 4 stops before getting to the supplier.

I have a 1 pound box of the chunky stuff that Skylighter gave away a year or two ago. I'm running low on RG at the moment, and I need some way to get it all nice and dusty. I remember a post from a long time ago where someone tried milling it, and all they got was a barrel full of glued together media. I guess that's what you're referencing, Dag? I will need it for color stars.

So, stick it in a blender, or just measure out the weight in clumps, mix with some acetone, and throw in the rest of the star mix?

You can get it at the same prices we do. You just have to be willing to bring in a large quantity, or know someone who will. Most of the cheapest prices we get are because we import directly from the supplier. You have to cut out the middle man to get the best prices. Some of the small time shops I've seen in europe probably go through at least 3 or 4 stops before getting to the supplier.

I know. The only suppliers to Europe I know of are Nitroparis and the Chinese, though. Nitroparis demands you have a VAT-nr and the Chinese demand that you buy at least one ton of each chemical.

I have a 1 pound box of the chunky stuff that Skylighter gave away a year or two ago. I'm running low on RG at the moment, and I need some way to get it all nice and dusty. I remember a post from a long time ago where someone tried milling it, and all they got was a barrel full of glued together media. I guess that's what you're referencing, Dag? I will need it for color stars.

So, stick it in a blender, or just measure out the weight in clumps, mix with some acetone, and throw in the rest of the star mix?

Yes, I have a jar with a 1/4" coating of Harry's Red Gum stuck inside it... Well, less now after a rinse or two. Yes, use a small grinder to powder it up but its not acetone that you want, I use Denatured Alcohol. I had descant in the box in a sealed bag and it didn't do anything to help the gumming but blade milling in -20° weather makes everything easy to blade mill.

-dag