APC Forum

What is going on here ?

THEONE

These days i was trying to make my own AL powder.

I made some,not very fine but it burns (i ignite it with a sparkler), and i have noticed some things...

If i burned it with 3gr al 2gr s 5 gr kno3 it produce a very very bright light, like flash photo

but if i add it into r-candy fuel or if i add some amount of BP it doesn't produce this light...

Why this is happening ?

These days i was trying to make my own AL powder.

I made some,not very fine but it burns (i ignite it with a sparkler), and i have noticed some things...

If i burned it with 3gr al 2gr s 5 gr kno3 it produce a very very bright light, like flash photo

but if i add it into r-candy fuel or if i add some amount of BP it doesn't produce this light...

Why this is happening ?

I think that in the first mix the aluminum isn't being totally consumed in the tube so visible light is given off. With the other mixes the aluminum is probably being totally consumed before the reaction products leave the tube, so no (or little) light. That's my best guess, with what you've told us.

WSM B)

That's normal. You really only get the extremely bright light when there is a sizeable amount of aluminum and it's actually being burned actively in the reaction. This is not the case if it is in BP or R-candy or something. It will brighten it somewhat, but it's not going to be like flash powder.