APC Forum

2 green 6" shells with barium chlorate

Potassiumchlorate

Two dahlias with that lovely green colour. The time fuse used burned a bit slower than usual (7mm/s instead of 8mm/s), which I noticed first afterwards, so the shells started falling down a bit before bursting. I'm still very satisfied with the colour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41ogoHnodbU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_azM9V1ORVI

@Potassiumchlorate

I watched all your shells. Great colors you have dude. Good timing too. Improving the symmetry and your shells will be mastered. Adding tails is to taste, I like them mostly because I can track the shell with the camera easily.

Thank you.

I know that the symmetry isn't perfect. In this case all stars were completely uniform in size (20mm pumped), but they weren't really enough to fill up both shells, and I really wanted to make two 6", since my original plan for NYE included firing one 8" with red stars and one 12" with TT stars. I had trouble with both; the TT stars wouldn't adhere, and the red stars (parlon bound) were damaged by the extremely moist weather we have had for several months here.

I actually prefer rolled stars, but I find barium chlorate/shellac a bit tricky to roll, even with dextrin as the binder. Also really big stars are easier to pump.

Bleser Aqua and Bleser White Mg in the 5" were rolled and pretty uniform in size. The red ones were cut, and they were also a bit damaged by moisture, but I knew from last NYE that they would work, although they will partly be crushed by the burst.

nice color, shellac must be tough to work with.

The shellac is pulverized, but, yes, it's still a bit hard to work with, although pumping goes pretty fast.

I have posted the composition before, but it's nothing wrong with posting it again:

Barium chlorate 84

Shellac 10

Dextrin 4

Stearin or chlorowax 2

The stearin or chlorowax is just to make the stars slide off the pump more easily. Shellac gives a slower burning and a smaller but more transparent and "pure" flame in my humble opinion.