APC Forum

Simple APCP Formula

usapyro

Does anyone know of a simple high power APCP formula? Most of the formulas I have found are annoyingly complex and contain tons of rare chemicals.

I'm looking for something as simple like AP/PBAN/AL 60/20/20... Is a burn rate catalyst absolutely necessary?

Edited by usapyro

Ammonium nitrate 90

Urethane plastic 10

I don't have a clue how you would keep the AN completely dry by the process, though.

Does anyone know of a simple high power APCP formula? Most of the formulas I have found are annoyingly complex and contain tons of rare chemicals.

I'm looking for something as simple like AP/PBAN/AL 60/20/20... Is a burn rate catalyst absolutely necessary?

Considering that the only other chemical in basic (SSRB) APCP is ferric oxide, I'm not sure I see the problem. For the maximum amount of info about APCP, get Terry McCreary's book "Experimental Composite Propellants"

A far bigger problem is characterizing the propellant, and designing and making an adequate motor case and nozzle. Lacking an adequate (i.e. instrumented) test stand and a good theoretical background you're likely to have many, many very loud, expensive failures.

Get PROPep to start with, and fiddle with some of the factors. Hopefully this will give you some idea of the complexity of the interactions. I plugged the formula you suggested into PROPep and BurnSim and ran a simulation. It wasn't pretty :)

Kevin

Edited by Nessalco

Eh, Ferric oxide... Red iron oxide? Got that.

I tried to install PROPep on one of the newest version of windows... Endless errors. Gave up!

I tried to install PROPep on one of the newest version of windows... Endless errors. Gave up!

PROPep is an old program and works under 16 bit, all windows 32 bit are 16 bit and 32 bit, all windows 64 bit are 32bit and 64 bit, so you must install something 32 bit like windows xp 32bit (x84), with 64 bit it will not work

Ammonium nitrate 90

Urethane plastic 10

I don't have a clue how you would keep the AN completely dry by the process, though.

First time a here for this propellant, can you give me more details please?

Edited by THEONE

PROPep is an old program and works under 16 bit, all windows 32 bit are 16 bit and 32 bit, all windows 64 bit are 32bit and 64 bit, so you must install something 32 bit like windows xp 32bit (x84), with 64 bit it will not work

Sorry, didn't even think of that. I have a couple of machines I keep running just for legacy programs and hardware.

Kevin

Download from the attachment

If it doesn't work just copy the files into the program folder, like the crack, thy each one folder first, after copy them...

GUIPEP.zip

Edited by THEONE

Download from the attachment

If it doesn't work just copy the files into the program folder, like the crack, thy each one folder first, after copy them...

Just a note - the output from PROPep/GUIPep will give you propellant parameters that you then plug into a program called BurnSim. It's a $40 program, but worth it if you're going to work with APCP propellants in any quantity. There is a demo version available - I don't know if it will allow you to enter your own fuel parameters or not. The registered version certainly does.

Kevin

I don't know if this would work. When I got a new computer I really didn't have much choice but to get 64 bit windows 7. If you go to any program and click on properties, you can open it in a previous compatibility mode. I've had to do this with a few things in order to get them to run properly.

• 3 weeks later...

70% AP 200 micron

10% Al powder 20 micron atomised

12.8% R45-HTLO

1.60% Isonate 143L

5.0% DOA

0.6% mixture of appropriate ratio epoxy resin + curative system, preferably not using isophorone diamine curative (slow reaction)

OH:NCO more or less = 1.00

80% solids, but high performance, simple

May I ask why you are wanting APCP formulas? They usually require metal motor tubes, and specific graphite nozzles to work efficiently. Another problem is they cant be pressed or rammed, as they are made as a sticky putty.

I'm sure I can get them to fly with a grog/bentonite nozzle inside PVC. ^_^ Might melt the rocket tube to failure halfway through flight... But we shall see!

I'm sure I can get them to fly with a grog/bentonite nozzle inside PVC. ^_^ Might melt the rocket tube to failure halfway through flight... But we shall see!

It usually warms the PVC up too much and ejects the nozzle. I went on to reloadables for that reason but a few well placed screws will hold the nozzle long enough to burn off the fuel. Not for pyro use though, no PVC, no metal screws in pyro.

-dag

• 4 weeks later...

Ammonium nitrate 90

Urethane plastic 10

This would not be APCP though, this would be ANCP ,if anything :)

70% AP 200 micron

10% Al powder 20 micron atomised

12.8% R45-HTLO

1.60% Isonate 143L

5.0% DOA

0.6% mixture of appropriate ratio epoxy resin + curative system, preferably not using isophorone diamine curative (slow reaction)

OH:NCO more or less = 1.00

80% solids, but high performance, simple

Lovely composition! I hope the O.P Can see it's not so simple.

APCP is the best solid fuel out there, ISP wise. It's also one of the hardest to ignite, to manufacture and to make casings and inhibitors for.

One love

• 1 month later...
Hey guys I just want to say that these comments are very inspirational as I will be making my own APCP rocket fuel for the first time and conducting many tests.

Unless I am wrong again, FERRIC is the black stuff, Ferrous is the red.

Otherwise this shirt wouldn't be so funny to me....

post-11291-0-10962800-1331604226_thumb.jpg

Edited by warthog

Yep, you're wrong. Iron (III) Oxide is red. Iron (II) oxide and Magnetite Iron (II,III) Oxide are both black. Many of these transition metal oxides are not so simple however, and actually somewhat rarely are stoichiometric solids. Iron oxide comes in many shades depending on impurities and stoichiometry.