APC Forum

Shell pasting

californiapyro

I have a shoot on the 28th and probably won't get many shells pasted until the 27th. this essentially leaves me 24 hours of drying time :o . is there a way to quickly dry shells pasted with gummed tape, and if so how do I know when they are dry? thanks!

While I don't personally have gummed tape pasting experience it's not uncommon to hear of people pasting shells with gummed tape, often on a WASP and firing it the same day.

So long as you have half decent drying weather I see no reason that hand pasted with gummed tape would be any different. On good days I've been able to fully paste, dry and fire three inch shells with paper and paste, which I expect takes a fair bit longer to dry than the average gummed paper shell.

To speed things up there is some advice I can give. Obviously adding less water to activate the glue on the kraft strips means there's less to evaporate. Also pasting just a layer or two then drying for an hour or two (helped with a fan if required) before pasting a few more layers greatly reduces overall drying times.

I have a shoot on the 28th and probably won't get many shells pasted until the 27th. this essentially leaves me 24 hours of drying time :o . is there a way to quickly dry shells pasted with gummed tape, and if so how do I know when they are dry? thanks!

There is a very simple way;

Take a 2000W fan heater (1000w will do as well probably). Dry the pasted shell between every 2 to 4 layers of kraft paper pasting (no shitty gummed paper tape). Drying will take no more than 15 minutes, the shells become rock hard.

Good luck ;)

If you use gummed tape, it will be dry within 24 hours. I regularly paste shells in the morning and fire them that night with no special drying. Putting them in the sun, or in front of a fan, or in a drying box should have them dry within a few hours at most.

Yes, but once your shell is closed the hemi's cant get oval anymore. And even with 2 oval shell parts you can make a nice round shell, they'll only fit in one way.

all right, thank you all for the advice :) i will have some good stuff made soon!

all of my shells dried in time! thank you very much for the help :D