APC Forum

Ruby red and other star wetting

pyrosailor99

Hi all,

i just made mix for Ruby Red stars and now i have to wet it to make the stars.

the comp say to wet the mix with 75/25 water/alchol

it's not specified Isopropyl alchol, so can i use standard denatured alchool (the pink home-use version)?

I have acetone too but i read more on this forum of users that had this stars cracked while drying...

what do you suggest me?

another thing... do you think i could prie this stars directly when forming it?

with my mix i will do 2 little batchs of stars: one will be rolled microstars, the other cutted or pumped star of about 1/2inch diameter.

could i prime stars while i form it with flat BP? i mean i would prime this stars dusting them when they are wet.

i don't have silicon, redgum and some other chem i see in common hot priming comps, so i'm searching some prime would work with Ruby Red.

Anyway i have alu (atomized and flakes), k perc, and red iron oxide...

thanks guys!

Since you're going to mix the alcohol with water anyway you can use denaturated alcohol, yes.

You must have some MgAl, since you are making Ruby Red. Add +5% to the BP. :)

Since you're going to mix the alcohol with water anyway you can use denaturated alcohol, yes.

You must have some MgAl, since you are making Ruby Red. Add +5% to the BP. :)

yes, i have MgAl in various mesh size.

So a prime like this would be good?

BP 95%

MgAl 325 mesh 5%

(i have also MgAl 70-100-235 mesh)

yes i like a mix of 60-300 for bp mg/al prime and i use up to 20% mg/al.

dan.

thanks!

how do you wet the prime?

acetone? water/alchol? else?

could i avoid to wet the prime for a new layer and dust it directly on the just formed wet stars?

You use dextrin as the binder for the stars? Just add +5% dextrin to the prime and dust it on the stars when they're still moist.

Dust it on at first. You may find you need a more substantial prime layer, and that can always be added later. The binder in the prime should be compatible (aka dextrin) with the binding system in your stars. If not, the prime would just be lightly stuck to the stickiest outer layer of your star, and the rest would fall off. You really have to let them dry first if you want to use two different binding systems.

dusting them wont hurt but i dont like priming waterbound stars while wet for various reasons, a quick swish in a thin slurry of prime in a bucket or bowl[once they dry] followed by dusting some more on while its wet will get them going or since you can roll just roll and spray once you have dried them, i rolled tt over rr with no prime and they lit.

dan.