APC Forum

Need help w/Super Bottle Rockets

warthog

Gary super fuel is NA Benz 76/23/1/3 with 5% added coal. Added in while wet.

76 perc, 23 NaBenz, 1 copper oxychloride(half a percent is all you really need and is all I use), +4% Mineral oil, and +5% 80 mesh charcoal. Solvent to disperse the mineral oil is Coleman camping gas.

This is the correct formula. The formula also works with Cubenz substituted for the NaBenz to give the rocket an interesting blue tail with the orange charcoal sparks. The blue is more apparent in larger sizes. I've made one in 1Lb size and a few in SBR size.

I mill the catalyst into the perc ahead of time in large batches. Then I can also use the milled perc\catalyst mix for 76:23:.5 perc:sally:Cuoxy very fast whistle.

Edited by Juiceh

You know guys, those labels would be more realistic with more spelling errors and awkward grammar.

So very true! I actually took a real label and copied it letter for letter with no changes at all, not too shaby for a chi-com rocket ;)

-dag

I copied all of the legal stuff from an actual rocket myself, letter for letter. Dag, I saved your label a while back, it is a good one too.

I hope to be at PGI for the duration so I am sure we can hook up there for a little bottle rocketry WSM. That'd be a hoot.

Whistle fuels will come time, something I lack where it comes to being able to be out at the work site these days...

I copied all of the legal stuff from an actual rocket myself, letter for letter. Dag, I saved your label a while back, it is a good one too.

I hope to be at PGI for the duration so I am sure we can hook up there for a little bottle rocketry WSM. That'd be a hoot.

Whistle fuels will come time, something I lack where it comes to being able to be out at the work site these days...

OOPS! Sorry about the double post then blush.gif

-dag

why be sorry Dag? I appreciate the help. Your label was the one that gave me the idea to make labels in the first place.m cool2.gif

Some more info on the 2 rockets in the 2 vids I posted. The 1.75 balls have a flat spot on the top allowing you to weigh the whole assembled rocket by standing it up on the shell. You can see the greenish copper oxychloride fast whistle first increments in that pic. The smaller shell doesn't have the flat spot so I had to lay it across the scale to weight it. As you can see the weight difference is significant with 1 more stick and 10g+ more sitting on top of the motor. With this first motor(2 increments of fast whistle booster before the "whistle super fuel") I had attempted to keep the rocket balanced with the finger at ~nozzle area and added tape wraps to the ends of the sticks. This was the only rocket I wasted time doing this with. Up to 4 increments of the faster fuel without extra weight on the sticks had a perfect flight. Might try dropping the 2nd stick and see what happens. I've since found some thinner & straighter bamboo skewers, I will build one with those sticks next. biggrin2.gif

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7117/sbrwsf1inchballweight.jpg

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/8498/sbrwsf175inchballweightb.jpg

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6712/sbrwsf175inchballbalanc.jpg

Edited by Juiceh