APC Forum

Shell Cross Sections

NightHawkInLight

I've been looking to make some shell cross sections for a while now for demonstrations as well as some nice pieces for the mantle. I'm just about done with a 3" that I planned on making as a test. Here it is before sealing the contents:

post-1652-0-35533900-1324174155_thumb.jpg

Now here it is after sealing with the lift and leader added. The lift has not been sealed yet:

post-1652-0-83813000-1324174169_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the results so far. I plan on trying a larger shell, possibly a 6" double petal. If I really get them how I like them and can push them out quickly enough I've been considering offering them up for sale. We'll see.

What do you think? Anything I should maybe do differently? I forgot to cross match the time fuse, I'll have to remember that next time.

Edited by NightHawkInLight

Those look great, and if anything look better than what I'd expect from a professional. You've outdone yourself this time!biggrin2.gif

very nice work, ive wanted to do this for a while and have been searching for look alike material for the contents, is yours all inert? and when you say sealed have you used some kind of resin or glue to set it together?

dan.

I like these! The UKPS has a display of cut away fireworks but as they are for the public to handle they are very carefully made of all inert materials, (the "stars" were rolled from plaster!) If these are to be "household items" then they should be similarly inert. A piece of black wet and dry abrasive will do mock up duty for a layer of BP, what looks like QM ... Display stars have been small chocolates (M&Ms or the like).

of course, i was thinking coffee with some airfloat on it or 10#charcoal for the "bp" plain black string, used time fuse, crispies/puffs coated with powdered black paint slurry for the break and have some baking beans that can be painted for the stars, i never thought of using sweets though im sure ive seen or read that on the ukps.

dan.

@ NightHawkinlight

I have to say that is a very impressive piece of art...

Im sure I as well as anyother pyro's who see this , had their heart speed up a few notches .. wub.gif

very nice work, ive wanted to do this for a while and have been searching for look alike material for the contents, is yours all inert? and when you say sealed have you used some kind of resin or glue to set it together?

dan.

Yeah it's all inert. I even burnt the time fuse before using it so there was no powder left in there. I sealed it with a transparent epoxy. I had to figure out a few tricks to get it to work right, but I'm not sure yet if I want to try to sell these or not so for now I'll keep a few secrets :ph34r:

of course, i was thinking coffee with some airfloat on it or 10#charcoal for the "bp" plain black string, used time fuse, crispies/puffs coated with powdered black paint slurry for the break and have some baking beans that can be painted for the stars, i never thought of using sweets though im sure ive seen or read that on the ukps.

dan.

I used 36# charcoal for the BP in this shell, it was the largest I had on hand. When I make a larger shell I'll put a little more care into finding a realistic grain size. I rolled the stars by hand in a bowl just out of flour, airfloat and dextrin. Easy enough.

Those do look good to me. My parents and my two nephews have asked me to make them an inert shell so they can better understand what it is I am doing and what I make. I suppose seeing these I better get off my behind and make them already. Yours look really nice and if you had not told me they were inert, I would have had to ask as they look like they should burn nicely. :)

Wow man, theese looks really nice! If you wouldn't have said it was all inerts, i would have thoud it was a real shell with stars!

I think you could sell these, if you find some buyers. They look really nice, and professional aswell! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Working on some 6"ers:

post-1652-0-91807100-1325561598_thumb.jpg

post-1652-0-51312900-1325561629_thumb.jpg

I think I've got a pretty solid process worked out to make them. Still, they are very time consuming since I am hand rolling the stars and using two layers of the three strip method to make the pasting look nice.

As a personal preference I really don't like the glossy epoxy/sealant. I think it sort of kills some of the realism.

As a personal preference I really don't like the glossy epoxy/sealant. I think it sort of kills some of the realism.

I suppose you could do without it by hot gluing the stars in place and sprinkling the break out on a puddle of glue. It would be a lot less durable than the waterproof (more importantly humidity proof) epoxy but it wouldn't have the gloss. I like how the gloss looks though. It's also cool to be able to toss the finished model around in your hands and give it a good look over without fear of damaging it. They turn out near indestructible. These 6s will turn out looking a lot nicer than the 3" as well, I've gotten better with the epoxy since then.

A trick my grandma used to use on ceramics is to spray a matte or flat varnish or urethane over the top of the glossy sealant. I really think it's the stars that get me with the gloss. Just doesn't look right, lol.

That's a good idea. I might epoxy a few loose stars when I seal up the 6's tomorrow so I have something to test it on.

I've completed the 6"ers. Here's a demonstration video I just posted using them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0T_59k6s1s

Here's a couple more pictures of the construction:

post-1652-0-26418200-1326045502_thumb.jpg post-1652-0-53325300-1326045523_thumb.jpg post-1652-0-42485500-1326045555_thumb.jpg post-1652-0-90701600-1326046480_thumb.jpg

I think they turned out pretty nice. If I end up putting together any more the only change I would make is to buy a better selection of screens so that I can get a more consistent grain size of the charcoal I am using to represent lift. The grains that I used in these shells are anywhere from about 10# to 50#. That ended up being a little too broad a difference to make it look perfect.

I'm not sure what I'll do with these yet. I'll probably end up donating at least one of them to MPAG for the club auctions. Would any of you be interested the other? I've got about 12 hours into each of them plus materials, I would be happy to get $150 for one. Among friends here though I'll cut that significantly if one of you pyro poor guys wants it.

is your business idea of selling them for profit out then? like, are you going to make more for the purpose of sale or just get rid of the ones you have? theyre really nice looking models, im sure theyd be good for showing non pyro friends how a shell works. the charcoal could be finer, and maybe a little more "bp" on the hulls... overall great though. :)

is your business idea of selling them for profit out then? like, are you going to make more for the purpose of sale or just get rid of the ones you have? theyre really nice looking models, im sure theyd be good for showing non pyro friends how a shell works. the charcoal could be finer, and maybe a little more "bp" on the hulls... overall great though. :)

I haven't really decided if it's something I would like to continue with. I might make more and sell them, but I might not. I've at least decided that I'll provide any details about their construction so people have the option of making them themselves. In any case, if someone wants one here I won't charge them like a business.

Edit: $150 would be like a business by the way. That's much more than I would expect from a sale here.

I never would have guessed there was sand under all those stars/hulls. Good job indeed.