APC Forum

C6 Cut Stars

chuck45

Hey Team.

I've just weighed and bagged 400g of dry C6 composition, ready to be milled. My question is regarding milling time. I made these years ago and didn't mill them, still looked OK, but could have been much better. These were my younger days when I had not yet mastered blackpowder.

I'm using a hard charcaol for nice spark effect, and I was thinking I would mill for an hour at most, perhaps less, but I've read of some folks doing up to 5 hours. To me this seems too long, especially in an effecient mill. I run a Thumblers Tumbler Model B, with the hexagonal milling jar a bit less than half full of lead media. Its a great mill and gives me blackpowder that equals or betters any commercial type, depending on what I want.

So, any ideas as to how long I should mill for a nice tail and bushy spark formation?

Thanks so much for your time.

its really down to personal preferance i mill most charcoal streamer comps for 1 to 3 hours i have used unmilled tt and c6 with various woods including willow and the tails are a bit sparse with large sparks but do hang around, milling will give you finer fire dust with smaller sparks but it does not hang for so long,

i have made tt milled for three hours and use them as comets for rising tails on shells the tails were almost from the floor to the shell burst [est 400ft] because of the speed it was doing,

for the bushiest tails use soft wood like balsa, mill it for a few hours and make bigger stars than you normally would to compensate for the difference in burn speed.

dan.

edit, some magnalium is very nice in c6 stars, i have some video of milled c6and tt with pine unmilled tt with willow and mg/al in c6

Edited by dan999ification

Thanks Dan, that advice has been very useful. I kinda like the big long lasting tail of C6 so I think I will keep the milling down to a minimum.

Can't wait, I'll be using them in starmines for now. I will give the magnallium a go once I get some.

Thanks again for the advice.

Just got it out of the mill after one hour. Beautifully consistent, smooth powder.

Tested some on the ground, nice colour, lovely effect. Can't believe they are so simple.

I think some people miss out by thinking these are too simple to be good, I think they are super pretty.

yup part of the reason i made nothing else but charcoal stars for over a year.

dan.

I tend to use different formulas for longer hanging sparks. I like the look of milled compositions better. It's a bit finer and more "creamy" if that makes sense at all. If I want a longer burning composition, I use C8 or TT or a willow of some sort. Adding things like coarse charcoal after milling, or lampblack can also extend the tail and hangtime.