APC Forum

Where to store stars

pyrosailor99

Hi all.

in this moment there are 4 boxes of stars of various kind (tiger - microstar_red - microstar_green - Winokur20 Glitter + D1 Glitter) that are drying.

actually the stars are on a kraft paper sheet on a thick cardboard tray.

i'm asking WHERE i will store this stars after they are dry.

actually i've some doubt that when i will be back on friday these stars will be dry, but i have to mind now where to store it.

i read somewhere that i shouldn't use plastic bags/containers for electrostatic problems. do you confirm this?

so where i should store the stars?

once oupon a time i read someone that said he store the BP in a double plastic (food) sack witha a paper layer between the 2 bags and this ensure no electrostatic problems may happen.

i did this too... but now i'm not so sure this could be the best thing...

Edited by pyrosailor99

You store finished product in your magazine. At least until you want to put them into a shell or whatever. Then you again store the dried shells or whatever in your magazine until the time you fire them unless you do them the same day they become ready.

You store finished product in your magazine. At least until you want to put them into a shell or whatever. Then you again store the dried shells or whatever in your magazine until the time you fire them unless you do them the same day they become ready.

what do you intend for 'magazine'? Paper sacks?

i think paper sacks could have humidity problems...

what do you intend for 'magazine'? Paper sacks?

i think paper sacks could have humidity problems...

no for a magazine at the very least you want an ammo tin used for large caliber rounds etc [lined with ply wood or thick card], an atf [in your case] approved dedicated magazine for the storage of explosives would be better.

as for storing finished stars you should really plan your shoot day and your build day/s, make your stars and anything else you need and use them as soon as possible [you probably know this]

as for the plastic container issue i have used resealable airtight tubs and large ziplock bags to keep stars for the least possible time [ 100g at a time], while i dont recomend this i dont see a problem if they are not handled frequently or aggresively.

paper bags or card boxes [ in your magazine] would be the best way to go about it IMHO.

dan.

no for a magazine at the very least you want an ammo tin used for large caliber rounds etc [lined with ply wood or thick card], an atf [in your case] approved dedicated magazine for the storage of explosives would be better.

as for storing finished stars you should really plan your shoot day and your build day/s, make your stars and anything else you need and use them as soon as possible [you probably know this]

as for the plastic container issue i have used resealable airtight tubs and large ziplock bags to keep stars for the least possible time [ 100g at a time], while i dont recomend this i dont see a problem if they are not handled frequently or aggresively.

paper bags or card boxes [ in your magazine] would be the best way to go about it IMHO.

dan.

oh. sure.

i know about the dedicated magazine... but this are little batches that will fired in days... i think within the current year i will end it all.

just wanted to know if there is some serious risk in storing dried or 'about dried' stars in plasic containers or bags until i build my devices and fire it...

thanks

• Like 1

my mistake, no serious risk in storing those at all though you should try to store "nearly dry" stuff in something that breathes like paper instead of a plastic bag or container so that they can continue to dry.

I thought you were asking where you should store finished product in general, not how to store stars specifically. Sorry about that. blush.gif

Once a plastic container is used and dirtied, it generally isn't that likely to generate static again, no matter how well it's cleaned. I typically used paper bags for smaller amounts, and plastic containers for larger amounts. A good spray of static guard to will kill any built up static. If I have quite a bit, these bags and containers are placed into larger secondary containers like 5 gallon buckets for additional fire safety.

dry charcoal and glitter type stars thoroughly before storing and use an open paper or card container to finish drying them, while storing in plastic tubs almost kills the static, un primed stars containing a high percentage of metal and or chlorates will still pose a risk of friction ignition if handled rough and common sense/experience is required in these cases.

storing nearly dry stars will see them rot due to condensation, they must be completely dry.

solvent bound comps dry so quickly there is no need to store them at all.

dan.

Separation of work and storage area is one of the most important safety measures. Don´t store them where you are making fireworks.

Store stars in airtight ziploc bags and cardboard or plastic overall containers. Don´t use metal or glass. Try to separate incompatibilities, such as AP and chlorate stars. Label them well - they often do look exactly the same. :whistle:

Edited by AdmiralDonSnider

Separation of work and storage area is one of the most important safety measures. Don´t store them where you are making fireworks.

Store stars in airtight ziploc bags and cardboard or plastic overall containers. Don´t use metal or glass. Try to separate incompatibilities, such as AP and chlorate stars. Label them well - they often do look exactly the same. :whistle:

I Second this !!! VERY GOOD POINT.

I have heard of fools testing their comps right next to pounds of drying fireworks. Always keep your work /testing/and storing areas away form eachother As Admiral says. What's even better is when these idiots post themselves doing this foolish act on youtube 2blink.gif...I guess you cant fix stupid..