APC Forum

Dragon eggs question

Dean411

Could someone out there PM with a supplier of either

Bismuth trioxide or Bismuth subcarbonate

So I can create some

Skylighter Prices blow

please help

Hey friend , I believe that your gonna have to hunt . I agree that skylighter is very expensive, but they have such a large co and over head how do you think they are paying for it...lol... your $

If your not opposed to the lead tetraoxide or other lead oxide salts then it may be something that your able to make your self.

As a side note and thought. ..... Try a pottery supplier for some of these hard to find chems. You may be surprised at what you find...

My main concern with the lead is that u never really have the best cleanup and I have an autistic son that loves the crackle effect. But don't want the Lead around for his sake. Not that I leave anything out for him to get into but kids are kids.

My main concern with the lead is that u never really have the best cleanup and I have an autistic son that loves the crackle effect. But don't want the Lead around for his sake. Not that I leave anything out for him to get into but kids are kids.

If you are a member of PF then try some of the guys there. There might be a couple that have some. Never used the lead myself, was always happy with the Bismuth method. I will say though that it can be finicky stuff to mix and process. I've done all sorts of ways from chopping into bits to extruded with a clay extruder. Bound with NC of course and that may cause you some grief unless you have NC.

The problem is if you screw up somehow then you've lost some pretty pricey chems.

I'm not much for buying pre-made supplies for my rockets or shells, but this summer I bit the bullet and bought a case of the "Crackering Balls" from my local distributor. I've used them for star cores and they work great. Once you take them apart you are left with all the little shells that don't glue together with anything... and some short bottle rocket type fuses, but you can figure out something to do with those.

DanB

p.s. I'd look for the JUMBO crackling balls. That's what I wanted but he misunderstood me and so the small crackering balls (yes they spell it just like they pronounce it) is what I ended up with. Just means more pieces to take apart is all.

If you are a member of PF then try some of the guys there. There might be a couple that have some. Never used the lead myself, was always happy with the Bismuth method. I will say though that it can be finicky stuff to mix and process. I've done all sorts of ways from chopping into bits to extruded with a clay extruder. Bound with NC of course and that may cause you some grief unless you have NC.

The problem is if you screw up somehow then you've lost some pretty pricey chems.

I'm not much for buying pre-made supplies for my rockets or shells, but this summer I bit the bullet and bought a case of the "Crackering Balls" from my local distributor. I've used them for star cores and they work great. Once you take them apart you are left with all the little shells that don't glue together with anything... and some short bottle rocket type fuses, but you can figure out something to do with those.

DanB

p.s. I'd look for the JUMBO crackling balls. That's what I wanted but he misunderstood me and so the small crackering balls (yes they spell it just like they pronounce it) is what I ended up with. Just means more pieces to take apart is all.

I got a case of them as well and the tiny green plastic hemispheres make great tiny rocket headings! I use the crackle to roll stars on them since they take up comp well and don't seem to be bothered by water after they dry.

Plus, the kids love to set up army men and roll a lit ball into them like a cannonball and have it explode all around them ;)

-dag

The regular sized ones are the ones you want if you are anting lots of little dragon egg balls. The "Jumbo" sized ones come with a single, 1/2" pumped looking star in them and unless that is what you are wanting, they don't work as well as the little guys, As soon as I get my little star roller, I am going to use those as star cores like Dan does. What I use them now for mostly is "Crackling Pistils" since they are so small and easy to mix in with the burst. Makes a really nice effect in a 5" and up ball shell IMO.

Next year come the sales I am going to see if I can grab a case or two of them if I can afford them. Having now made a few batches with the red lead, it really is a lot easier to buy these than to make them IMO though I do have some more red lead I will have to use up in something now.

Edited by warthog