APC Forum

shell collisions?

madmandotcom

whilst watching tv the other day, i saw a clip of 2 planes-one with a B*mb on board, one with a camera to watch it drop, because the planes were traveling at around 200 ft per second, a vacum was created between the 2 planes causing the B*mb to be sucked upwards and crash into the camera plane.

my question is can this happen to arial shells traveling at approximately 100 ft per second and if so, would it cause the shells to loose momentum and break low?

shold i avoid launching 2 shells at once?

whilst watching tv the other day, i saw a clip of 2 planes-one with a B*mb on board, one with a camera to watch it drop, because the planes were traveling at around 200 ft per second, a vacum was created between the 2 planes causing the B*mb to be sucked upwards and crash into the camera plane.

my question is can this happen to arial shells traveling at approximately 100 ft per second and if so, would it cause the shells to loose momentum and break low?

shold i avoid launching 2 shells at once?

Absurd!

Absurd!

I've seen shells bounce off each other in the sky, so the thought isn't absurd.

Nothing else happened though. The shells functioned as they were intended with a slightly different trajectory. It certainly wasn't the end of the world. I wouldn't stop at shooting 2 shells at once, 2000 is better for certain effects.

No Nate, the airplane sucking the bomb up. I have been witness to hundreds of sorties and not a single bomb aver climbed.

-dag

No Nate, the airplane sucking the bomb up. I have been witness to hundreds of sorties and not a single bomb aver climbed.

-dag

Ahh, okay. I was trying to figure out what you meant, I'm guessing you've seen a few shell collisions as well.

i could've sworn ive seen a sucked bomb before (i know i know, video or it didnt happen) but the same concept with shells is, like dag said, simply absurd

this was on the tv show destroyed in seconds, since this accident, regulations have been altered so it cannot happen

ah yes thats where its from... it was a dummy bomb and only weighed a fraction of what the real thing would

think of professional cakes that fire 50 or so shots at once.

firing two shells is no problem.

dan.

Shells withstand the high pulse of pressure in the mortar tube so another pressure wave should do little harm to shell or trajectory. Also with the timing of igniters and quickmatch it's very unlikely that two shells would burst at the same time with any accuracy.

If you watch a show, especially the finale you'll probably see a shell or two collide, and most certainly stars collide. The chances of two shells colliding is fairly low if only a few are fired. If 100's or 1000's are fired it's more likely. There's usually no problem. If there's a tail you can sometimes see them veer off as they impact. I've never seen one go off randomly from an impact, but I suppose it could happen, especially if the shell was built poorly. With stars, it's pretty obvious with tailed stars. The impacts make a cloud of sparks, and sometimes fragmentation.