APC Forum

Star cores in transformation shells

Zmuro

If I want to build 5in shell that changes from glitter or streamer to colour, how big should be colour star when I roll glitter composition on? I would like to know if there is any information on how big should be colour star core in transformation shells? What about 4, 6 and 8in shells?

Would you mind clarifying what you mean by "transformation"? Typically a transformation star or shell in something resembling firefly, but typically Ti based. Are you just talking about color changing stars? If so, it depends on burn rate of color composition. Are you talking about a ghost shell?

I'm not talking about ghost shell, just typical colour changing star from streamer or glitter to colour. Edited by Zmuro

Look at your project design and pull details from other shell designs you have done.

For each size that you make, what burn time in seconds do you want for each compound, then look at old projects and see what star size made that burn time in the comp that you need, Say you want four seconds of burn, that could mean two seconds of each compound, and that MIGHT (as a GUESS!) mean 3mm radial thickness of each comp making a total of 12mm DIA.. However some comps burn faster than others and only you know your comps well enough to make the first guesses ad tests to start with a stargun and test the comps you want.

would it be too much to ask what a "Ghost Shell" is? That is a term I haven't heard before.

would it be too much to ask what a "Ghost Shell" is? That is a term I haven't heard before.

It is like a tiger tail shell ( for the ease of explaining) that has more charcoal. It makes for a very mystical break , (kind of like slow gold). It seems like your shell was flop at first ,then the most beautiful trails of sparks start to show up and fill the sky from what seems to be out of nowhere.

Another one is color changing ghost shells they are crazy to see. It seem like the color changes in a "wave" in a particular shape. Watch the you-tube clip I found...

Edited by pyrojig

It's up to you to determine how thick you want your cores. All my organic colored stars burn at a similar speed when bound, so I make them the same diameter - 6-6,5mm.

It is like a tiger tail shell ( for the ease of explaining) that has more charcoal. It makes for a very mystical break , (kind of like slow gold). It seems like your shell was flop at first ,then the most beautiful trails of sparks start to show up and fill the sky from what seems to be out of nowhere.

Another one is color changing ghost shells they are crazy to see. It seem like the color changes in a "wave" in a particular shape. Watch the you-tube clip I found...

thank you very much, that looks cool and I think I must learn such a technique now... :)

it involves rolling different amounts of comp onto cores so that they change at a different time. very labor-intensive but cool :)

hehe, guess so ;) hardest part is getting a decent roller for cheap

hehe, guess so ;) hardest part is getting a decent roller for cheap

Well, that is being dealt with as we trade posts. :) I have paid Mumpyro to make me one on the cheap. He is sort of busy this time of year so I don't expect it to get to me for a while now, like after new years. It is too cold out now for me to roll stars now anyway. Too cold for me,not to roll stars that is... laugh2.gif