APC Forum

Best whistle mix fuel

pyrothrust

How much more powerful is copper oxychloride than Iron oxide? and as a catalyst Which is the best to use for power rather than noise ,the Iron oxide, Copper Oxychloride or Sodium Salicylate also I have been using 70 /30 Potasium Benzoate is their a better opitmal ration.

regards

Sally is great for speed Benny is good for power IMO I prefer Cu Oxy for power and IO for sound but there is alot to be said about spindle design if sound is what you want

• 1 month later...

76 / 23 / .5 / 2.5

Perc / NaSally / Copper Oxychloride / Vaseline

This is my favorite blend so far. Half a percent of copper oxychloride is all that is needed. I mill the catalyst into the perc in a tweaked 6lb harbor freight tumbler for 6 hours with ceramic media, probably a bit overkill on the time but the mix flows great and there is no question that the catalyst is well integrated. Lacquer thinner is the solvent for the Vaseline.

This fuel has tons of power. I like to use it for strobe rockets, since it has more power than the Iron oxide mix you can cut back some on the beginning whistle increments and use more strobe fuel for the core. This fuel can't be used for everything though. It's best used in moderation, or you get CATOs. biggrin2.gif

Edited by Juiceh

Nowadays I'm only using potassium benzoate as fuel, this fine and non hygroscopic fuel has lots and lots of potential, with CuOCl or FeO, the difference is not really that big, both catalysts preform really great.

IMO the fuel is most important factor for sound and powder. No moisture in it and fine powder.