APC Forum

Blue Streak Rocket

nater

Sorry Mumbles, I was under the influence of being responsible with my bills and the such and I had to vent. Its over and back to subject.

Sorry Mumbles, I was under the influence of being responsible with my bills and the such and I had to vent. Its over and back to subject.

That's a gross mischaracterization of my situation. And thanks for the candygram. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

No preliminary tests directly related to this project. I do have a small press built that can handle up to 1 pound motors. I have made my

, which were successful. Another rocket builder I know has had great success using the whistle formula I had in mind on standard 3 pound BP core burner tooling, so I have yet another option to test.

Not a ton of progress during the start of the off-season, but a little. I have many things to learn to make my idea come about, so at least I am taking small steps in the right direction.

Edited by nater

Gotchya, nice press, should do the job. So just to be clear what exactly are we attempting to do here? It sounded like we were trying to get a star ring out of a canister shell earlier in the thread, but you mention that the motor details have yet to be finalized. Just wanting to lend a hand if I can.

I am working on a scaled up rocket inspired by the old consume Blue Streak Rockets. I'm making a hard broken blue with silver go-getters. I'm probably going to make a cylinder shell, so I would have a blue stars with a ring of inserts inside. Because they'll swim around, I could care less if I get a perfect ring of inserts. For this, I don't want the graceful BP rocket, so I'm either going to make a Hybrid BP rocket or use Dan Thames' "Super Whistle Fuel".

As I said in my first post, I still have a lot to learn about rockets and building headers, so I'll work on this project in stages. If all goes well it will be one of my 4 entries for the PGI competitions this year.

Edited by nater

Ahh, that makes more sense now. Sorry if you mentioned this already but what type of tooling are you using, I assume a 1lb motor, what is the wall thickness if your tubes and how fast can you make your BP?

A motor like this here My Youtube Channel would likely lift a header like your describing here. These are purely BP motors, I do use a hydraulic press to make them with a wooden 2x4 clamshell. If we corn your BP (assuming its fast enough and the wall thickness if your tubes is up to snuff *may need to test a motor to know this*) your arbor press should be able to make these as long as we make the pressed increments small enough. It will probably take some time but if you're willing I'd like to see if I can help you get an awesome lift motor down pat.

I have standard BP core burner and U/H tooling for 1 lb motors and have been using the standard 1/4" walled NEPT from Hobby Horse. 60-30-10 BP milled with Alder coal CATOS on my standard BP spindle. I have a feeling it will fly great with the larger spindle on the U/H spindle, but I didn't want to ram a motor on my new tooling and just got the press finished. I'm also going to try it on my standard tooling to rule out any fuel grain problems caused by ramming. I've also had good flights using green mix 75-15-10 BP with commercial AF coal and a nozzle.

Ok, sounds like a good plan, so we are going to do two (or more) motors, both 60-30-10, 1 using the U/H tooling, and another using the standard BP tooling, both pressed correct? You specifically note that the green mix rockets are using a nozzle, are these other rockets with the 60-30-10 mix nozzle less? Edited by ActionTekJackson

Yes, at the next opportunity I have to fire rockets, I'm going to compare the same fuel on my 2 different spindles, with everything else being exactly the same. Then I will know if my fuel with alder coal is too hot for standard tooling or if the difference was pressing vs. ramming.

• 2 months later...

Yes, at the next opportunity I have to fire rockets, I'm going to compare the same fuel on my 2 different spindles, with everything else being exactly the same. Then I will know if my fuel with alder coal is too hot for standard tooling or if the difference was pressing vs. ramming.

How did this turn out?

-dag

I have not had an opportunity to shoot 1 lb rockets yet. :( . They can fly far enough I don't have room unless it is at a club meet. First HPA shoot this year is not until April, so I will have to wait a little longer.

• 1 month later...

You could try looking at page number 156 in the best of AFN II.

Titled ; Easy to make ring shell, its a canister construction. It's been on my to try list for awhile, but you know how that goes.

• 2 months later...
At the last shoot, everything but my 1/4" rockets CATO'ed. I consider that a success though, it is a step in the right direction from upside down gerbs. We have a shoot this weekend, more to come later.

• 3 months later...
Not to bring an old thread back but what ever happened to these?

Not to bring an old thread back but what ever happened to these?

Still working on it. I have been able to get consistent 3/4" motors that are up to the task and have been learning how to make cylinder shells. Right now I have a 3/4" motor that delivers a little over 36 lbs of thrust and can easily lift a 3" 2-break cylinder shell. I still need to work on the shells and inserts for this project, but it is coming along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1iocrX_JHg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-uP6C_oJDs

post-9966-0-89171300-1349063338_thumb.jpg