APC Forum

How to Make Fireworks With Zero Pyro Chemicals

NightHawkInLight

It's been a long while since I've done anything with pyro, but I figure this has to count for something. Depending on your definition this may or may not be considered a 'firework', but it certainly provides similarly spectacular results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdbCzYN95cg

Fortunately, this is not considered a firework by most governing authorities, so it is likely legal in most every country. Even so, it should certainly not be used in dry areas.

Safety glasses are required, and a hood or wide brimmed hat wouldn't be the worst idea. I wouldn't suggest using one of these while wearing synthetic clothing either - A practice that should be avoided with all fireworks for that matter.

I saw that on your channel, I thought they looked cool. With my yard full of dead leaves now though, I am not going to be making one anytime soon. Though it might make raking them a lot easier if I just burn them all in place. biggrin2.gif

If I made big rockets I'd hot glue about 4 pads to the top of one and fuse it like a rising comet. I bet that would work pretty good, and give a pretty fierce effect when the salute heading blew what was left to bits.

If I made big rockets I'd hot glue about 4 pads to the top of one and fuse it like a rising comet. I bet that would work pretty good, and give a pretty fierce effect when the salute heading blew what was left to bits.

there had better be a video if you do this one... :)

• 1 month later...

Ah, steel wool! Memories. I burned steel wool for the first time some 25 years ago or so. :)

Ah yes, the memories. I first burned steel wool about 40 years ago in 7th grade wood shop. We had a big pedestal mounted grinder for sharpening tools. I packed the wheel guards full of sawdust and steel wool and flipped the switch. It started slowly but quickly built up to a flaming jet engine roar. It blew sparks and flaming debris halfway across the shop. I got in a lot of trouble for that one. The principle called the fire department and had the Chief lecture me. It wasn't so bad, I actually got a tour of the Fire Department.:D

I was just about to revive this thread myself. If any of you have an Instructables account (or don't mind creating one) I would REALLY appreciate a vote on my Fire Wire article in the Make it Glow contest. This link should bring you to the page the article is currently on: http://www.instructables.com/contest/glow/?show=ENTRIES&sort=RECENT&limit=18&offset=234

I have a few other articles in the contest as well if you want to browse through and vote for them also, a rocketry entry and one on nitrocellulose, but I think those have a lesser shot at winning so I don't want to waste my efforts. If you vote let me know and I'll send you a code for a few months of free pro membership. I've got half a dozen or so memberships I've earned on the site that I can give away.

NightHawkInLight,

when was young at 12years old,we made this firework with my friends!

you bring me back to memories :D

I first saw this a few years back out somewhere in the Nevada desert. I have made my own hardware cloth cages and had good luck spinning 000 and 0000 steel wool. My memory of those first folks I saw doing it was that they would dip their wool-filled cage into some bucket of liquid "oxidizer" before spinning it, but I forget what they said it was. Now with a little experience under my belt with the smaller mesh wool, I see that no oxidizer is really needed. Still, it makes me wonder what they were using and why. Was it so they could use a coarser steel wool and get bigger sparks or longer burn time? Any idea what the dipping oxidizer would have been?

I signed up to give you a vote, but I noticed in the comments that instructables is not honoring video submissions, let me know if the situation changes, you have my vote.

Fortunately that was for an earlier contest that videos were not accepted. Voting has closed for the other contest though, now it's just up to the judges.

I tried various screens to contain the steel wool, but it ended up melting through it. I'm not sure what they could have been dipping it in, perhaps alcohol or another fuel to provide more of a flame as well as the sparks.