APC Forum

Thanksgiving Show

warthog

I am gathering my stuff for my usual Thanksgiving show. I will set off a barrage of ten bag and piston mines and shoot ten or so 4" shells off over top of the barrage. I have made the bag mines so far and now will begin making the shells. It is not much of a show really, essentially just a finale that I do to celebrate a lot of good food and how thankful I am for all God has done for me this year.

I use both bag and piston mines because of the difference in how high the two fly and the way they both spread the stars. By using both types I get a more full looking front over which to shoot the shells. I just feel it makes the barrage look nicer and helps highlight what is going on over them with the shells.

I will post up the shells when I get those done. Here is a picture of the mines though. :)

med_gallery_11291_107_13718.jpg

"Floor Sweep" Yellow, Magenta, Turquoise, Purple Velines, 3/8" pumped primed with Fence Post Prime. 7 grams of my willow BP per mine as lift/burst. These then tend to give me coverage starting from just above the tubes to ~25 feet or so up. I posted one of the bag mines set off last night on YouTube, here is that video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=6nNZ3WVTeMc

Shot this one close to the house, to try and beat the rain. I didn't have time to set it off remotely so the video of how well it works wasn't the best but it gives you a good idea still. ;)

Edited by warthog

No one will shoot fireworks for Thanksgiving? 2huh.gif WOW! 2ohmy.gif

Seems I will be going somewhere for eats. So my plan to shoot 3" or 4" shells will change to shooting off a few "Excalibers" instead. Gonna hafta keep things in the "consumer" size range since this will happen in suburbia now. OH well, I still have a few of those from my days of buying fireworks so this gives me a good chance to get rid of them.

my thanksgiving will consist of a fast family dinner, and unfortunately work from 10 pm to 7 am, than again from 3 pm to 11 pm.

no time this year :angry:

Yeah, I sorta figured that most folks wouldn't be having fireworks for Thanksgiving. It is more of a family get together and food and giving thanks type of deal. It is the least fireworks type holiday I can imagine really. Even I decided that since I can't really do what I want to do and since for the first time in ten years I will have dinner with someone other than myself that I am going to simply save what I have made so far and fire it for New Years. I was going to fire it off today instead for Veteran's Day but it got too late for me to get it all set up by the time I thought about it.

Well, I suppose then I have my finale for midnight of New Years now. :)

There's certainly nothing wrong with Excaliburs. We've shot them in professional shows for filler in a small venue where the largest shell we could shoot were 3's. I'm not shooting anything for Thanksgiving. I wouldn't be opposed to it, but we have our traditions. Besides, where I will be on Thanksgiving, I have already made on of the neighbors upset with fireworks a few summers ago with 1.4 shells and cakes to celebrate Labor Day.

Nothing for Thanksgiving, but consumer fireworks are very likely to be legal in Michigan come New Years Day. That will certainly give me reason for celebration.

Nothing for Thanksgiving, but consumer fireworks are very likely to be legal in Michigan come New Years Day. That will certainly give me reason for celebration.

Yep,

It's been a long time coming for you guys, but it sure does look like you're in the home stretch now. If I wasn't working New Year's Eve, I'd take a trip up North to properly celebrate with my Michigan friends. I have a small assortment of 1.4 product just for such special occasions.

Warthog:

I shoot any chance that I can. Thanksgiving being one for sure! Rain is always welcome, no ground fires are a plus. I think a few 3 and 4" may be it . Sadly I didnt plan well for thanksgiving, and it will be a short show.... But a ton of great food to make up for that .!2rolleyes.gif

See, this is my problem, poor planning. I find myself short of stars and BP hulls which is another reason for me to use the left over Excals. I agree Nate, Excaliburs are pretty nice shells for a consumer grade firework. I think things will be OK overall, I wasn't going for a big show anyway.