APC Forum

rocket tooling

allrocketspsl

who says one cant afford rocket tooling with new composites anyone can have their very own high tech rocket tools

post-10235-0-68400800-1320595713_thumb.jpg

who says one cant afford rocket tooling with new composites anyone can have their very own high tech rocket tools

some also lack the ability to work with high tech materials :D .

dan.

some also lack the ability to work with high tech materials :D .

dan.

yeah you have to use all different tolling,I made mine,copying, after alot of research whats used in the industry.Going to sell sets for 1,2 and three pounders on pyrocreations.com once Im done with prototypes.The prices will blow you away.Will show rockets going up using this new tooling for examples.Does your "spindle" stick,ha those days are gone!

If that is Delrin, you will break the tip off if it is twisted off a motor. These will have to be pulled straight up and I would hesitate to make traditional BP tooling from it due to the thin tip.

-dag

I still can't make them myself. I lack all but the simplest hand tools and I also lack much skill in the area of DIY. I can do a lot of other things pretty well but sadly, since a few things have happened, I lack dexterity enough to make anything precisely. It is sort of comical to watch me cut wood with a circular saw too. I usually have myself laughing pretty hard by the end of a project. biggrin2.gif

How does the plastic spindle hold up to nozzle mix? That is one area I would be worried about durability.

I have only made one spindle from plastic, it was not used to form nozzles due to the death grip the clay would have on the convergence portion but even BP on the short spindle would not let go if pressed to 8000lpi and had to be cut off.

That one is in a landfill now.

-dag

How does the plastic spindle hold up to nozzle mix? That is one area I would be worried about durability.

Mumbles I have done weeks of reaseach for just those particular problems as dag has stated also.Thats why Im so excited about first being fortunate enough to have found out of what must be hundreds of plastics to have gotten a ridgid,strong,machineable to metal tolerances and impervios to almost any chemical I will encounter while making black powder rockets,basically sulfur,kno3and charcoal are tame to what was stated in the product literature that this composite wont be affected by.And my materail source well cheap compared to stainless or metals of any kind.Star plates, comet pumps ,crossette pumps and such will be soon on the market!Stay tuned! All.If its ok I would like to contribute a small amount for donation to APC next week using my paypal account.

I still can't make them myself. I lack all but the simplest hand tools and I also lack much skill in the area of DIY. I can do a lot of other things pretty well but sadly, since a few things have happened, I lack dexterity enough to make anything precisely. It is sort of comical to watch me cut wood with a circular saw too. I usually have myself laughing pretty hard by the end of a project. biggrin2.gif

I hear ya,at work a month ago i cut my thumb cutting glass,I work partime at a Lowes store in florida.The glass cut all the way to the bone on the inside part of the thumb severing the tendons.They are stretched when connected to the bone so when they are cut they snap back up inside the arm.I cant bend my thumb one millimeter,lol it feels weird so I know where your coming from.Thanks to jigs making the production of my cutter a breeze my dexterity is limited.Im a diamond setter by trade many moons ago and that would be out of the question now for sure.

Mumbles I have done weeks of reaseach for just those particular problems as dag has stated also.Thats why Im so excited about first being fortunate enough to have found out of what must be hundreds of plastics to have gotten a ridgid,strong,machineable to metal tolerances and impervios to almost any chemical I will encounter while making black powder rockets,basically sulfur,kno3and charcoal are tame to what was stated in the product literature that this composite wont be affected by.And my materail source well cheap compared to stainless or metals of any kind.Star plates, comet pumps ,crossette pumps and such will be soon on the market!Stay tuned! All.If its ok I would like to contribute a small amount for donation to APC next week using my paypal account.

What is the surface hardness?

-dag

If that is Delrin, you will break the tip off if it is twisted off a motor. These will have to be pulled straight up and I would hesitate to make traditional BP tooling from it due to the thin tip.

-dag

no your right though delrin just doesnt have the tensile strength mine does just ram three motors and no wear on the plug area or comp for that matter quite surprised how it pops out of the core

What is the surface hardness?

-dag

will have to check not sure on that one will get bay

Will you be sharing the material type and name with us?

-dag

of course mate,even though I will be marketing these in the pyro field Im not naive enough to realize stainless will be the prefered material for most folks even though the price isnt cheap. I wanted to make rocket toolling affordable to beginners so that they can purschase tooling instead of making there own and avoid the pitfalls of there work thus discouraging them from making cored bp rockets.Im a slow learner so it took me two years to get my cored rockets to where Im confident they will fly 99% of the time! Naturally also because of the type of fuel I make and the way I make it!! Jeff

Aluminum isn't cheap either but it is what I make most of my tools out of, when I am making them at all. It is also what folks like Ben and Rich use for rammers and such. Stainless may not be as likely to produce a spark but Aluminum simply can't make one (at least to my knowledge).

I am looking forward to getting one of your fuse cutters though. :D

Aluminum isn't cheap either but it is what I make most of my tools out of, when I am making them at all. It is also what folks like Ben and Rich use for rammers and such. Stainless may not be as likely to produce a spark but Aluminum simply can't make one (at least to my knowledge).

I am looking forward to getting one of your fuse cutters though. :D

I use wood for rammers oak,hard wood al spindle but now I have my HT spindle

post-10235-0-78783800-1320774564_thumb.jpg