APC Forum

BP rockets tools

Givat

You are a dumbass. Look at the second posts. Those are the sizes every tool maker uses. It doesn't matter if you don't think they look good because you obviously don't know shit about pyro.

wow i can see Mumbles is realy mad :huh:

well, you can answer me more nicley, Your responses is totaly unnecessary

i dont want to be called a "dumbass"

and im sure that you to

well, you can answer me more nicley, Your responses is totaly unnecessary

i dont want to be called a "dumbass"

and im sure that you to

ammm he did gave you the answer

and watch you moth he is the admin :mellow:

There is Private Message option! use it please.

And mumbles, I got the "amateur rocket motor comstruction" and I tried to look for some ratio for knowing the rocket tool measurements only from the rocket diameter - It's not so alike to Mike's Swisher (rec.pyro) dimensions.

That is cause in that book they are not black powder rockets for the most part. Make sure you are looking at the right fuel for the right rockets. I think he does have some BP rockets in that book but also watch out for modified fuel ratios for BP rockets...makes them different. I usually just experiment with the fuel I have until I find something good. The ratios are a generallity...not a constant but more of something to go by; a starting point.

I just know those ratios at the start of the thread look like they were pulled from weingarts book "pyrotechnics". An excellent book. But those are just the old standards use for BP rockets, though you are not limited to just those dimensions. Modify the nozzle diameters, core lengths, and such to get larger surface area burning or more compression, ect...you are free to modify and vary the dimensions to get varying performances out of your rocket. experiment and find one you like, also check out the calculators on richard nakka's site to calculater performance stats on different engine designs.

Well, I am tired of all the dumbass questions. You ask for an answer for rocket tooling dimensions, and they are right at the top of the page. You miss it because you are too lazy to read the thread which might have the info, or even search. We point you in the right directionl. You then come back and ask for new dimensions because "you don't like the ones we gave you". Perhaps you should *gasp* try searching yourself, or sending some e-mails to suppliers seeing their dimensions.

As for the book quest, most rocket engines are end burners, so that could be part of it. They could also be optimised for KNO3/sugar or some other fuel. Core burners in pyro are used for a large burst of thrust to lift heavy headers. Core burners are used to provide thrust over a period of time and they actually lift higher which is ideal for model rocketry.

I'm not saying those ratios are perfect, but it is a good place to start.

Mumbles, as you speak of End-burners you might be able to answer my question.

Are the dimension 1/4 ID spindle diameter, 1-1/8ID spindle lenght suitable for an end burner ?

1-1/8 ID spindle lenght allows for 1 ID clay plug and 1/8 ID core that extends into the fuel grain.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Witch material is best to use for the rammer and spindel?

You don´t want any sparks but you want it to be strong.

Brass is great from my experience.

But I guess you can use 304\316 stainless steel too.

Stainless steel is the most common material. Brass, aluminum, and occasionally nylon are used. All of these will be pretty chewed up by titanium if you plan to use that in your stars or rockets(depending on the tool). Stainless steel will be the most resistant to Ti and other hard materials.

• 3 months later...

This is great! I too have been searching for a formula that would show how to determine correct spindle length and taper for a particular length and inside diameter of rocket case. The math is really easy for a 1" ID tube.

Case = 10" long.

ID = 1"

spindle = 8" overall. Base = 1" Taper = 7" Tapering 1/2" from base to 1/4" at tip. I've always made my tooling by trial and error and it works good but this gives me a a much better guideline to go by. I also cut a 30 degree angle on the upper part of the base to form the lower angle of the nozzle as per NASA specifications.

Here are pics of my latest bottle rocket tooling. Spindle length is 1 5/8" taper is 1 1/8".tapering from 1/8" at base to just under that at tip. I cut the base a bit too long so I use washers to shim the case up to where the nozzle is recessed 1/8" into the case. I hand roll the cases from brown paper bag. 2 1/4" long by 1/4" ID but I'm going to try commercial 2" x 1/4"tubes since rolling them is a pain and the other ones are so cheap.

should be good for 1 gram salutes. Next I need to learn how to make whistle mix. (broohahaha).

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/di...07/S3011374.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/di...07/S3011376.jpg

• Like 1