APC Forum

Found chinese comps info

50AE

I do agree that the green strobe from the Russian website, as well as a few others, are probably BS. I've heard some people in the know with access to some of these sheets in the importing and research business mention that the information sheets do sometimes contain intentionally misleading or false information. "Accidental" entry errors, omissions of chemicals all together, etc. Sometimes it is more obvious than others. If all formulas but one all add to 100%, it is sometimes a give away.

The green strobe from Standard looks a bit more like ones that I have seen that really work. Typically they are barium nitrate, sulfur, MgAl, as well as additional additives. I assume the effect works something like a glitter as postulated by Oglesby and to some part Shimizu. The nitrate (either potassium or barium) reacts with the sulfur to form a sulfide melt which coats the metal particles. At some point later this will react explosively with a bright flash with the metal. In a glitter these droplets are blow off, in a strobe they stay together. That is a very simplified version of what I believe is happening. I was working with these mixes a little bit before my accident. It's definitely possible.

Ethylene chloride is a different, and a bit less archaic, name for vinyl chloride.

I would just take the formulas given earlier with a grain of salt. Some may be good, some may be bad. At least none that I saw looked particularly dangerous at least. I really didn't see anything too new or ground breaking. In cakes and stuff, the chinese are definitely capable of making very nice colors. They're typically better than the ones I usually see in the larger items. Even some of the proximate pyro manufacturers have better color compositions for the items that are fired closer than the bigger stuff fired farther away.

Don't forget the magnalium. Magnalium is prone to burn vibrationally and makes strobes easier than other things (take magnalium and barium nitrate for example). If you mix magnalium with ammonium perchlorate (200 micron) and NC lacquer and drizzle it in lines on a sheet of paper, then cut out the strips when dry; they make a sort of strobing sparkler when burned (I did this in the past).

If you need the details, let me know and I'll look up exactly what I used ;)

WSM B) .

THose documents are usually produced so that importers can get the fireworks through national approvals and UN category listing.

• 1 month later...

THose documents are usually produced so that importers can get the fireworks through national approvals and UN category listing.

I think you have the most correct answer. If chinese fireworks must be analysed to see what chemicals they conatin, than you will be suprised if 50% of that formula(device sheets) is correct.

No firework importer will write HCB on this list. HCB is also used as pesticide on rice field. So maybe rice hulls contain a small amount of HCB

Anybody could try time rain formula. Maybe it is true time rain, nice crackling willow. 2 KP, 21 KN, 19 Mg/Al, 4 S, 34 CuO, 10 Ti, 4 resin(red gum)......

That was one I really had my doubts about unfortunately Karlos, at least as written. Time Rain (aka crackling matrix comets) are typically, as the non-chinese name implies, a matrix star with crackling microstars embedded.

Anyway, I have my interpretation of the formula as given in the post below. Might be right, might be wrong, you may think it's BS, but it was my impression from that formula and the rest of the formulas as a whole.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6464&view=findpost&p=83726

for what it's worth, i made 8 1/2 / 11'' pages out of those cake comps with diagram.

nothing fancy, but will print out well enough for binding.

** Attach file wasn't working.. here is a link: Link To File

open in any image editor, even paint. word might work. then print, select " shrink to page " if your printer cuts anything off.

Edited by TheArchitect23

Trust me, I would love to believe it too. Ti and coarse MgAl are the only things I know of that can crackle or make sounds like that as a single comp. You might be able to get something passable with those, but IMO, the best ones will still be the true matrix comets. If you can manage to get good crackle comp from a granulated composition, they're not that much extra work. If you're pressing or cutting, it could be kind of difficult or tedious.

• 2 months later...
Anyone did some trying in the meantime, confirming or rejecting the claims that the formulas are or are not useful/working?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
great thread