APC Forum

Steel media. what to buy?

pyrosailor99

"burundum" = grinding media

oh, ok, so burundum is not another kind of material!

I would not use a protein jar as a ball mill jar.

yes i know this. i don't think to use it for much time.

i think to cover it with US gray tape to make it more resistant (and gummed).

i think i will use it (as it can do big batch) maximum 2-3-4 times... in the while i will try to get a decent and solid pvc jar.

thanks!

It was a mix of 1/2 & 5/8ths almost new cylinders.

There was a considerable amount of void space

I weighed 1 gallon in at 22.8 on a USPS postal scale..

Back to the original list, bear in mind that steel media, even if used for individual chems, can leave fragments behind.

These fragments could potentially spark during mixing, ramming etc.

Ok... :angry: The biggest ass*ole mot****k of the world just won the auction i was bidding for about zirconia media...

he was very smart and lucky as the technque of bidding in the last minute was fatal for my time fuse...

well now i'm risking to have a big ball mill and nothing to mill with...

any other source for cheap zirconia medias?

thanks

i've tried lead balls (fishing use) time ago... and my bp was horrible. i admit in that time i also used non-quality charcoal... but i remember bad experience with lead balls... all fishing balls have trough holes... that i had to close... the wear of the balls was too fast... in the harb. fre. mill the jar was in rubber and i don't know if this contributed to bad BP result...

also, as i have to spend something on this, i prefer to do a unique cash out and buy what is the best i can afford for price and for quality. zirconia or brass (my Gold how much it cost!) are the best. ceramic is too lightweight, lead wear and contamine BP...

please help me in finding good and cheap zirconia medias. (please send me a PM, as if you publish it... for sure someone will try to stole me the bargain again :glare:)

thanks!

oh, ok, so burundum is not another kind of material!

Completely wrong!

Burundum IS another kind of material!! so it have different density, specific gravity, charging rate etc... from the Zirconia medias....

so my question is now answered with a valid info. (http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/6405-steel-media-what-to-buy/page__view__findpost__p__82960)

i don't understand why that Burundum note:

With a specific gravity of 3.42, the charging factor of Burundum (pounds of media to be used per gallon of total jar capacity to give a 50% vol. Media charge) is approximately 9 lbs/gallon.

is placed in the zirconia info section...

Just found on Lloyd book that Zirconia charging rate is 14 lb/gal

Burundunm charging rate is 9lb/gal

(both based on 50% of the jar volume )

It depends what you want to do with it. It seems too small if you ask me. I'd go at least 1/2" or so. I was using approximately 3/8" hardened lead shot, and it has absolutely no crushing power. Everything had to be fairly finely powdered if I wanted to get a good composition out of it. The lead I was using is bigger and about 3x as dense as zirconia media.

I was thinking the same thing about the burundum comment, but couldn't find anything definite one way or the other. I've seen it both refer to milling media in general, as well as alumina media. It probably depends on the source.

OMG, your post send me again out of mind...

...so i should feel lucky in having lost the auction fort that 3/8'' zirconia M medias...

actually i can't again imagine what tf media buy to be safe and quick in the best bp production...

illuminate me please!

OMG, your post send me again out of mind...

...so i should feel lucky in having lost the auction fort that 3/8'' zirconia M medias...

actually i can't again imagine what tf media buy to be safe and quick in the best bp production...

illuminate me please!

I'd keep trying to acquire the Zirc M if I were you. Thanks to an older post from Oldguy I got some of the 1/2" stuff from that same Ebay seller a couple of months ago and it's pretty amazing stuff. It makes wicked BP in a about 3 hours due to it's extreme hardness.