APC Forum

Rocket Nosecones

nater

nice but it wasnt 3 seconds,lol great rocket though

Smarty-pants! ;)

Did you notice it was NOT posted in YOUR thread? whistle.gif

Thanks for the compliment, I like to play the sound of the WHOOSH! time after time on the PC, I just love that sound.

-dag

Smarty-pants! ;)

Did you notice it was NOT posted in YOUR thread? whistle.gif

Thanks for the compliment, I like to play the sound of the WHOOSH! time after time on the PC, I just love that sound.

-dag

yeah i noticed just couldnt resist,I live for the wwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooosssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Dagabu -

Those are exactly what I had in mind when I started this thread. Do you cut and roll both cone pieces from a circle then trim? I used templates so they would roll up the right shape without trimming. I think using formers would work better, it might even be possible to spike the nosecone and the bottom cone separately and assemble in multi-break fashion.

• 8 months later...

I am still working on these types of headers. I ended up ordering the formers from Wolter when they recently came back into stock. They were a personal treat after I got stuck working 60 hours straight when 2 people got sick while 2 others were on vacation! The formers are a true work of art, but the nose cone body template isn't quite the right size for how I want to build my headers. It will be simple enough to come up with a new template.

First header made from these formers. Total weight is 132g; horsetail break, red stars with silver tails. Intending to be flown on a 3/4" BP rocket on H/U spindle.

2012-06-03_18-07-10_486.jpg

Nice lookin header Nate. One word of advice on breaking these shells with other stars, use a flash bag to break the shells as they have a tendency to dump. They do work well for horse tail as is.

When do we get to see the video?

-dag

Thanks Dag.

A dump of the stars is just the effect I want. Rocket should be flown Friday or Saturday, video to follow.

A few more headers, ready to be loaded with stars and burst. I tried using red rosin paper lined with manilla folders. We'll see if I am pleased with the results this weekend.

2012-06-06_22-12-13_716.jpg

The cone shaped water cups can be used to make individual nose cones or you

can use them to create a mold.

The wax coated ones can be sprayed with a gel coat and re-inforced with fiberglass.

You can also shoot an expanding foam into the paper cup to create the nose cone.

You can also attach them to the rocket as the foam is expanding and setting up, and then paint the outside.

You can also fill the cup with "bondo" automotive fiberglass resin (kind of heavy) I keep them hollow and add expanding foam.

Or keep the nose hollow and add your stars or report inside.

Mikeee

The cone shaped water cups can be used to make individual nose cones or you

can use them to create a mold.

The wax coated ones can be sprayed with a gel coat and re-inforced with fiberglass.

You can also shoot an expanding foam into the paper cup to create the nose cone.

You can also attach them to the rocket as the foam is expanding and setting up, and then paint the outside.

You can also fill the cup with "bondo" automotive fiberglass resin (kind of heavy) I keep them hollow and add expanding foam.

Or keep the nose hollow and add your stars or report inside.

Mikeee

I doubt that you would want to use anything but paper for nosecones as the rest are hard and pose significant risk to the eyes when coming down after the heading breaks.

-dag

I agree Dag. I flew 2 on Saturday night, the first landed right next to me. The cone popped off and the body stay attached to the motor and stick. I had plenty of drag, so everything came down slow. Still, I would want to avoid making them too hard, or out of anything that won't decompose.

Oh, and the video will be posted as soon as it gets sent to me. These rockets flew and displayed the heading perfectly.

I agree Dag. I flew 2 on Saturday night, the first landed right next to me. The cone popped off and the body stay attached to the motor and stick. I had plenty of drag, so everything came down slow. Still, I would want to avoid making them too hard, or out of anything that won't decompose.

Oh, and the video will be posted as soon as it gets sent to me. These rockets flew and displayed the heading perfectly.

A little jealous here, we got rained out last night and only some commercial C cakes the night before...

-dag

I almost wish we got rained out. We were cut short due to the high fire risk. We were fighting too many small fires and ran out of water and charged cans.

I almost wish we got rained out. We were cut short due to the high fire risk. We were fighting too many small fires and ran out of water and charged cans.

Sorry to hear that, we too had a nice hot and dry day right until 8:00 or so and then the heavens broke loose.

-dag

• 2 weeks later...

Like I said in a post above, I was able to get video on one of my rockets during the shoot earlier this month. The stars were blue, and looked a little pale. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite dark yet and they didn't show up very well on the video. Otherwise, I was very happy with this rocket's performance. I was mostly testing the type of break, delay, and lifting ability of my motors, all of which were exactly what I was going for. The stars were cut at 1/4" before being primed. For the height, they could have been bigger. For the flight I have planned at PGI, I will use 1/2" stars. I might try Chrysanthemum of Mystery for the delay, but everything else will stay the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBxXLy7ikQk